Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Of Making Concessions; A Non Horse Life Story.

The building process begins again... With a very long and bumpy road ahead, er well a very bumpy and rough construction driveway.



Recently my life has been full of up's and ... Well I don't want to say downs, so let us say stale points.
We put the house on the market end of August. Yeah, I know... Here we go again!
Our 5-10 year plan house has turned into the 2.5 year plan, but that is how my life goes. I am driven, I don't hold back and I get things done. One way or another.

We intentionally bought the building lot in our area because it is a brand new subdivision in a suburban area right between two major cities and right off the freeway. Plus DH and I thought being so new it would make us stay for awhile, knowing people don't generally like living in construction zone. My life is a construction zone so I didn't care.

Anyhow, houses and horses are my passion so I don't really mind.

Among the many showings, great feedback, second showings .... It took us almost three months to get an offer. Then as soon as one person wants it everyone does!
We are now in limbo until the end of the week to find out if the house is sold. It is kind of sad in a way, we worked really hard on this house and we know the love and detail that was put in, yet the second person who offered wrote us a lovely letter with pictures and their story. Call me old fashion but this meant a lot and rest assured us that someone will know the love that we put in and love it even more.

Along with selling the house comes moving. Moving in with my mother in law... For the third time so we can build again. Third time is the charm am I right?!
However... The closing for the house would be the 2nd of January and conveniently it is DH and my turn for Christmas supper, which is really not going to work seeing as we sell mostly everything rather than store it all for 8 months.

Long story short, with split families, snobby families (mine), and Portuguese families (DH's), we can't fit everything into one day with nothing but an oven, plastic cutlery and a bed. Reminds me of college age days....
Two of the three categories took it fine, they know we don't sit, we don't stop. My side...well is snubbing me. Christmas spirit yo!

At this age of my life I have learned that swimming upstream is way harder, though DH and I are not sedate people. We have goals, we have dreams and no one is going to make it happen but us. Much like my riding and horse life. I accept that there will always be someone better, I don't need to prove my worth, I want to be MY best and that is good enough for me.

As I've struggled to understand people for many years, to keep everyone happy, take in all advice, I have learned that nothing will make me feel better than knowing I listened to all perspectives, tried to make concessions and compromises and in the end did everything in my power to keep my mental and physical sanity.
Really I could not imagine a better Christmas than ditching all the presents, bon bons and booze and spending the day with my horse.

Yes horses aim to please but in the end they don't complain if you miss an important date, they don't hold grudges and they just simply live in the moment.
This is the life I want to live!

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely understand the sentiment though not fully the experience. I want to please and do right too (though I've never had a home or hosted any kind of family even). Things can be tough but you are tougher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aghh, sorry about the family stuff...I'm in a similar place with mine, for similar but not exactly the same reasons (working out of town and just too busy to do the family thing as much as they want and have missed some important dates) Agree 100% with you, follow your dreams, do your best, and make your own happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T! I am glad someone else understands!

      Delete