Monday, February 18, 2019
Here Comes The Thunder.
It is funny how much you don’t realize how important riding is to you.
I remember a few months ago I had a couple weeks where the thought of bundling up, freezing my cheeks off and heading to the barn had my mind searching for excuses. “The floor needs vacuuming”, “the dog needs to go for a long walk”, “oh I just showered, I don’t want to shower again”, etc.
Now, in this bracket of horse-less-ness I am begging for rides. Mostly on my friend’s horse Thunder.
Thunder, as some of you know from my stint in eventing with him, is a tried and true middle aged guy. Likely some sort of appendix though he rides like a powerful thoroughbred who has been around the block a few times, enough to know that ‘I do not work unless you hold yourself up there lady’.
Thunder is one of the simplest and hardest rides at the same time. Children, babies even, can pony ride on him, but to get him working. You work. Hard.
This is actually pretty perfect for me right now. I am leaning more towards my dressage side lately and purely improving my position and how it influences the horse. Thunder is like having a coach between your thighs, unless you hold your core, let your lower leg hang with a strong thigh you ain’t gettin’ nothin’ outta this guy.
I am sure he talks like this too of course. With an old man twang.
Last week I picked up a ride on him, it was freezing so I rode bareback. Nearly slipping off the entire time until I relaxed my hip, held my core and draped my leg. Something I struggle with in my jumping saddle.
Solo is animated in his gaits yet smooth and not experienced enough to ‘tell’ me when I forget to remind myself to ride. Ie. he happily wiggle wormed his body to make it work.
Thunder says pick your shit up and ride like you have been doing this more than 5 minutes.
The moment I actually think a slight half halt every stride or two Thunder instantly softens, brings his back up and drops his neck. More or less telling me, ‘hallelujah you can ride’.
These mini half halts do wonders for his lightness up front as well. Where was once a heavy contact is all of a sudden a ‘good feeling’ weight if that makes any sense.
His transitions are also an accentuated picture of how well I am holding myself and riding. If I am not on point he dives, completely unexpectedly.... I mean that. You think you can feel a change coming.... I though I could too before this guy.
Overall this guy is a true teacher in every sense. While I have a few tricks under my belt that I could teach him, he has many refinements that he could teach me. Many of which I have grown lax with riding all these baby horses.
Awesome!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment