Monday, November 24, 2014

Steady On!

“The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
-Paulo Coelho
 

'So you want to ride today eh?...'


Here we are, another Monday. Most Monday's find me in pretty well the same mood as last week. I truly believe we should all take a note from the PC game The Sim's and have little mood 'thermometers' above our heads. It truly would make things much simpler...

Fortunately, today I am not grumpy! Big plus! Clear to approach without caution...
I have officially started my Christmas countdown on my desk calender. To be honest, I am not sure why Christmas is so exciting to me these last couple years. I don't care about the presents, (...and I am not just saying that so Santa brings me the new or new to me CWD saddle I have been eyeing. I understand Santa isn't THAT rich). But something about the buying/giving presents, the baking, the family time and the holiday music just puts a smile on my face.
I also have a mini countdown for decoration and tree time. I flat out refuse to be one of those people who put up their tree and lights in November. That is just wrong. (Sorry November decorators but Christmas should not take up 1/6th of the year, it must be reserved for it's special month).


On to more diversely interesting topics. My last couple rides have found us struggling with getting a bit more uphill connection. We get it, we lose it, she tries to stretch down, we regroup... rinse, repeat. Chronicles of the ever so slightly longer horse and the obsessive co-pilot.
*insert sound of rusty seesaw*.
I completely understand the principals of why we want to now start bringing the poll up and increase activity in the haunches but my thoughts are clashing with the necessity of doing so at this point in Dear Mare's training and job.
We are hunter's after everything is said and done. Despite our dabbling, which is merely to have fun and expand OUR mental capabilities. And the fact of it is, her warmblood side has blessed her with the physical attributes that help her do what I am asking for now without any real need for more carriage, though more carriage is lovely! (May I thank Thunder for introducing me to this. Damn thing is like a Lays chip. Can't just have one!)
So my question for myself is, do I accept that she physically does not need to be as 'up' as some horses to get the same things done? Accept that she likes to stretch out into the bit? Or do I keep pushing for a little more because I know she is capable...


Having a night to sleep on it, or stew and google more like, I think I know the answer but sharing my inner turmoil always seems to work out the kinks for me so I see things a little more clearly.
I have resolved to the age old mare decorum...        'Ask and you may receive."
So I will stop telling and I will steady my hand and leg. I will merely whisper my request. What I get? Eh, I am sure it will depend on the day.


Saturday was a lovely sunny day, before the freezing rain...
I went off to the barn with my new asking 'tude, had the ride all planned out. I was going to set this awesome pole work exercise that I have recently discovered and work on my 'ask', I was so pumped!
Thennn... I saw the outdoor ring. The snow was mostly melted. No more ice and the wind was no longer slapping me in the face but just a gentle lick.
Plan . Outside play time!
I groomed in record time, thank you blanket, tacked up and headed out. Realized half way out that the mounting block is now inside. Meh, too lazy, time to improvise. I stationed Pal on the ditch side of the culvert and awkwardly clambered on as she decided that this was an opportune position to reach out and graze with minimal bending. Ugh.

Once on, we went out to the grass ring and got attacked by a plastic grocery bag trapped in a slight wind gust. That was fun... These are the moments I am glad I don't have people around. People have camera-phones. One picture. A million years of taunting.
After the bag incident, everything was ferocious and terrifying. The jump fillers ... still outside, oops, the dog ball in the middle of the ring, the snow patch on the long side, and not mentioning the devilish pony deciding this was all great fun and a good time to participate.
What happened to my chill app?

The ride continued and we actually got in some GREAT work. Pal was very forward and uphill. Soft to my aids and my 'ask and relax' was very well received.

Steady on!




 
Visit fellow blogger, Filly's Best Friend, to help support her new venture!http://www.gofundme.com/weenieeventers

No comments:

Post a Comment