Thursday, December 10, 2015
Pushing Past The Willies.
The other night I was brainstorming ideas for my ride the coming night, as I usually do.
While I am grateful to have an indoor and grateful that the BO's finally decided to put in magnesium rather than subject us all to the dust storms and brown snot that follows through the next day. (Sorry, yes too many details but it seriously sucked!). Despite all gratefulness, I cannot help but groan when I am attempting to come up with an over fences exercise because the arena is something awkward, size wise.
For what ever reason, nothing seems to work out like it should... but this time it did!
Add this one to the favourites!
My goals as of late for my over fences work is to get Paloma even more collected on approach and between fences, aiding in 'sprung' at take-off.
This sounds pretty simple, shorten the distance right? Not that easy...
Paloma uses her long neck for balance, always has, so re-teaching instinctual abilities is tough, as I well know as I attempt to work on my staying centered over the tack and giving with my hands not my body.
In times of a pinch, we all go back to what is 'natural'.
I came up with this exercise, see above and ignore my horrid panoramic skills.
A canter pole coming into and out of the corner, 3-strides to a vertical, 1-stride set at 19ft rather than 21ft to another vertical and finally 3-strides to a canter pole. Jumps set about 2'9 roughly.
At first, to be honest, I looked at this exercise and thought I might die, it seemed tight for jumps above 2'6 (my uber comfort zone), but I told myself that I need to stop being a weanie and set my gymnastics at a similar height to courses we school. Except three feet sounded too scary for a gymnastic...
I warmed up using the canter poles coming off the wall and making sure to get a good distance, get ourselves thinking and feeling it. Then I approached in trot to rev up my nerve.
Paloma has been getting very good at trot fences and this proved no problem for her. She actually felt very relaxed and just did her job. The 19 foot distance which 'should' be a bit long for trot felt natural.
We picked up canter, took a deep breathe and approached...
Mentally reminding myself, "jump height doesn't matter to Pal anymore and that part is her job, so do your own!"
I may have forgotten to breathe but I kept my leg on, stayed centered and let it just flow.
Breathe on exit! Whoo...
As I became more confident with the exercise, I began nit picking my position to ride more effectively and help Pal to rock more weight back than on her forehand, I noticed that her hoof falls were becoming quieter and less quick, signally that riding properly does actually help the horse. *smacks head* Of course!
While I felt my leg and body stay solid and secure, I still reverted to a short crest release rather than following hands, dammit! I just couldn't snap out of it no matter how much I tried.
Much fast happenings, much dumb!
Overall two thumbs up for staying on and staying alive :P
Labels:
Exercises,
Gymnastics,
Training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

ooh fun! i love short one stride grids - so useful!!
ReplyDeleteI'm new-ish to the whole jumping thing and finding gymnastics are the perfect thing for finding where my body (and pony!) need to be! So cool, but also slightly terrifying. :)
ReplyDelete