![]() |
| Apparently I thought something was quite funny. Paloma it seems, did not appreciate the paparazzi. |
I am not entirely sure why I do it, 'tis the season and all I guess...
Last night I arrived at the barn around my normal time, found Paloma neatly tucked away in her stall, comfy, cozy and clean, say what!
I was also greeted by a fellow barn mate who is relatively newer to riding and has a slightly tricky pony mare. This barn mate has been on my case about arranging a ride together for awhile. While I generally do my best at shrugging off said suggestions, I know it sounds mean but you will understand shortly, but tonight I obliged, what else could I say? I didn't book private arena time, my name is on the board but in the general section of 'all others welcome'.
I had set a small gym line for myself, three raised trot poles to a cross rail, one stride to another cross rail, which I later turned into a 3'3 vertical, knowing I need to work on staying quiet. The bigger stuff always make me think I need to make a big move.
After we both had tacked my first indication that this was a mistake should have been recognized when said barn mate parked her mare beside Paloma, definitely inside her 'bubble', while I was getting on.
While Paloma is generally good with other horses, she will warn with an ear pin and a nasty, not even a mother could love facial expression, but I know if the other horse invades the second, closer 'bubble', you better watch it, she is boss mare. Except Thunder, most days, she loves some Thunder. (Eww slightly gross..)
Anyways, I did not say anything, I kept Pal in check and proceeded to turn on the forehand to aim the guns away from the other mare/rider and crept away without incident.
Warming up, they continued to invade Paloma's bubble, so I gave them a heads up of, "watch Paloma's hind end she has been known to kick". Any sane or simpleton would know what that means.
The ride became a game of Tetris, where can I maneuver and readjust to keep my distance?
Then it happened.
Paloma was giving me some serious fake supple in attempt to trick me that she is working. "Ermm.. nah mare, I ain't biting, work that hiney!"
I began walk-canter-walk transitions followed by trot shoulder-in's on the one long side, constant changes was the name of the game.
Barn mate decided this was a good time to have a good 'ole rip about the arena. Either that or she lost control and wouldn't admit.
While I was tracking down the long side in shoulder-in I saw the other mare coming out of the corner behind us and in attempt to aim the 'arse' away from incoming traffic, I aided for haunches out.
My idea was good, although it did not help in the end.
Seconds later, I hear hooves too close, felt Paloma's coming reaction before the war began.
The other mare, crashed right into Paloma's side, luckily the mare is small and I didn't get my leg pinned against the wall. Paloma was PISSED. She lashed out with a warning kick. The other mare still didn't get the message, like owner - like horse, so Pal laid into the other mare.
I couldn't do anything but sit and growl at the two mares to quit and hope the other rider got their horse under control.
It felt like minutes though I am sure it was mere seconds. I pulled Pal up and managed to squirm out from between the other mare and the wall, good thing too because the other rider was hanging off her mare, and of course NOT wearing a helmet despite the fact that she falls off nearly every ride.
In the end everyone was ok, no harm done, Paloma got a bit of trouble because she clearly escalated the situation with no regard that there are humans present, (My biggest bet peeve!).
Pal clearly knew she was in the wrong because she was instantly a perfect angel for the remainder of the rider and rode through the gym like a practiced expert, I even think she enjoyed it.
I hate that I gave her trouble but she has a bad habit of forgetting her size and manners in times of stress.
It is one thing to play roughly in the field but with people around, mind your P's and Q's!
Now, I have to do my best to avoid said rider/horse combination without hurting any feelings, especially due to a rather terrible personal situation said person is going through. *sigh*
I try to be kind though clearly kindness isn't always the smartest option.

Oof. Maybe you can get out of it by saying that P just obviously really takes offense to that other horse, and you'd like to keep her focused during your rides instead of distracted about where the other horse is? Doesn't seem like the other rider is savvy enough to pick up on if that's true or not.
ReplyDeletescary, glad everyone came out unscathed :( perhaps everyone has always avoided this rider rather than helping her understand how dangerous that can be? bc she definitely seems a little clueless...
ReplyDeleteThat girl sounds like a nightmare. I hate barn drama. My barn may be lacking in electricity, drainage, and roofs, but I am very glad it is lacking in drama. It's one of the best things about my barn.
ReplyDelete