Monday, January 11, 2016

Clinic Report; Centered Riding

Yumm... super soaked pony.



 Saturday was clinic day at our little barn and despite the downpour that made for both a soaked horse and super icy paddocks/walkways, (...of course turning dear Paloma into snorty beast), it was actually a perfect temperature for a winter clinic. What more can we ask for in the month of January?

I was skeptical about all the claims that people have been making as of late about 'Centered Riding' and this particular coach and I really wanted to be proved utterly wrong and dumbstruck.

While I am, in fact, dumbstruck, as in I really don't know what to say, I am not sure I feel any redeeming qualities for either this coach or the whole 'Centered Riding' idea.

What I can tell you is that my hips were in absolute pain both during and now two days later, though significantly less.


The first thing the coach did was tell me to point my toes to Paloma's ears, push my heels out and away from her barrel and move my legs back six inches in order to achieve the best outline, (for rider). 'Kneel and land on your feet', she called it.
I totally understood the concept of having maximum contact with your thigh and I loved her explanations but I struggle with if this is the best way for me.
I mean this hurts! And not just a little stretching your boundaries hurt but more like wrenching my hips from my joint sockets hurt!
I had read many articles in the past about how many coaches will promote this way and in this articles 'they' argue if this is actually the best way for ALL riders. It may work for some, but we are all built differently just like our horses.

Assuming the pain goes away after awhile I am still left wondering if this positioning of my leg is effective?
When I did achieve the 'IT' positioning, I felt my leg become completely ineffective, I could not for the life of me apply my calf. Thus, Paloma fell behind my leg. Exhibit A. But hey it looks pretty!

Exhibit A..... lack of forward but pretty leg.

Because I have a massive need to learn the how and why about everything I asked the coach about this. She stated that forward should not come from the leg, it should come from the thrust in your seat/posting. When I am not posting, my body should still be thrusting. This sounded a lot like the giant hunter faux paux, 'pumping'.


Although, I admit the new leg position did prevent me from applying 'nagging leg', which I can be guilty of, eckham, and Paloma did become instantly relaxed. Major plus!!


In conclusion, I am left with more questions than answers after the 45 minute lesson.
But sometimes this is a good thing for me. At the very least I have a ton of food for thought and this is usually when my best riding occurs.
I cannot help but think that maybe I can mix this method with what I already know and somehow be left with no a 'nagging leg and relaxed horse' result?

I do love concocting my own recipes after all...






3 comments:

  1. I'm not an expert and nagging leg is certainly bad, but I'm pretty sure you do, in fact, need to be able to apply your calf to the home to produce movements. I'm not sure how you'd do any lateral work if you can't use your lower leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are legitimately in pain I'm going to go ahead and recommend you DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!! I mean, sometimes I ride with some calf pain, but I know that it's because I didn't stretch beforehand.

    I DO like the idea of not having to nag with the leg to get forward. I have read in other dressage texts about using your seat to "allow" the forward motion or "restrict/restrain" the gait, but I think it doesn't rely on your horse being thrust forward by your seat so much as being steady and consistent and keeping the pace that you can then adjust with your seat. Does that make sense?

    Anyway, excited to hear about your hybrid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer the clinic wasn't what you hoped. it seems many clinicians push for results much quicker (like, 'completely change your position NOW,' instead of gradually over the course of a few weeks as you build strength to hold and be effective in that position) since they have such limited time to make an impression on the students. all the same, this leg positioning that you describe is actually what i've been working on achieving too. it's taking a while to figure out how the leg aids work (since my tendency is instead to curl the heel up and nag) but when i get it right i'm finding that the horse goes much better and it's much easier to apply more precise leg and weight and seat aids...

    ReplyDelete