![]() |
| Exhibit 'A' of 'Faux Cold' horse |
Looking back at my rides last year I was just beginning to learn more about equine brain works and how to categorize each horse-nality into simple groups in order to tweak my aids just so to get the desired outcome, accompanied by the desired effort.
I think in our lessons when we are young we are taught you do 'this' to get 'this' and 'that' to get 'that' and quality/effort is lost somewhere in all the noise. Then, as we get older and we continue what we have learned through the years we eventually hit a wall. That wall is the barrier standing between you/your horse and better/tougher items that are already on your agenda.
You think, 'I just need to get, *points*, over there!' So we kick, plead, cry... toddler tantrum. It doesn't help trust me.
After some time the clouds pass and the clearer thinking, more mature version of you comes to the rescue... by use of ten fingers, a keyboard and the wonderful word "Google".
Many hours, a few bottles of wine later you hit the wall again, but this time, you find a ladder. Ah Hah!
You climb the ladder....
Then find yourself starring at a "NO EXIT, DEAD END". *Insert kicking, pleading toddler again*
Finally, you swallow your pride and your determination/maturity, (need both, trust me), takes hold and you attempt to inconspicuously saunter back to square numero uno. The Basics. *Dun Dun DUNNNNN*
Sigh, yes, I too feel your pain but fear not. These 'Basics' are not the same basics you once learned those many years ago, no, these basics are the Foundation.
Yeah, I know, just a fancier label but it makes me ego feel better about it. It will yours too!
If you have read my posts before you know about my beef with Paloma. 'Faux Cold'.
From what I have learned, there are generally three types of horse-nalities when it comes to energy/effort levels. There is 'Cold' .... the lesson horse from yester-year, 'Hot'.... the horse you thought you wanted when you started watching the Calgary Stampedes or the went a few too many times to the races, and finally the 'Faux Cold' horse.... the horse who is neither 'Cold' nor 'Hot' but a combination of both. The culprit? The brain.
Paloma, falls into 'Faux Cold'. She can be a reliable form of 'Hot', as in I know exactly what is coming and how to knock it down quickly with minimal incident. A encouragable but nagging form of 'Cold'.
However! She can also be an excellent blend of both .... WHEN you put in the effort to unmask it.
Point of my thesis here... Now, in this past year, I have discovered where Paloma falls into these categories and how to unmask it I have hit 'The Wall' in my training.
In these past few months, together, we have learned what 'forward' is, we have gone on to learn shoulder-in's, haunches-in/out, shoulder fore, real leg yields, half pass, canter-walk's (sounds easy but not!), etc. But there is still something missing.... 'UMPH' is the only way to describe it and I do think most understand my cunundrum.
The answer is, as stated above, The Basics.
It isn't all bad though. As I review our progress, despite my lack of attention to detail by means of over-excitement when something went in the right direction rather than wrong, I don't think Paloma would have been able to either comprehend let alone physcially give me what I want now. The said task but with 'umphness'.
Knowing that teaching Paloma or readying Paloma, is what I should say, to anticipate in my daily schooling sessions is the key to unlocking the 'Sparkle', I am now able to fold in the 'Sparkle' with 'The Basics' which in turn produces 'The Umph'.
Back to square one with a kick. Transitions with Sparkle!

Faux Cold Love it!
ReplyDelete