Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Roaches; Impossible to Abolish



Despite the title I don't have roaches per say, however, I did tank and finally roach Paloma's mane!
I know, truly shocking right!!

I have always struggled with Paloma's mane and I, personally, despise pulling. Not only do I think it is almost cruel, yes I know, no nerves, but it just a sheer pain in the ***. A nicely pulled mane, looks lovely for a few weeks and yes Paloma does look smashing with a tidy pulled mane but the issue with her mane is not the mane itself but Paloma's chunky crest inherited from her father dearest.
While this passed down trait is very visually appealing, it spells nightmares for pulled manes.

Why? When pulled, whether all in a, long mind you, day or over several weeks it will look like the image of perfection... for a few days. Until the top two-thirds begin to stand straight up and push the first third of her mane towards her poll.
This in turn produces two problems, an unsightly Fjord look complete with the two toned white and black hair, (..yup, oddly enough we have that too, dang dilute gene) and secondly Paloma literally has a mental breakdown thinking there are a million and one unescapable flies hovering her ears. This spells trouble for potential good rides.

So, why now you ask?

Well, to toss a third reason into the mix, it appears as though a pasture mate has taken up the fun past time of mane pulling. Ugh.


ZIPPPP! It is now alll... gone. Despite nearly and I meanly super nearly chickening out.
The internal mental battle hashing out in my brain pulled on her brave girl panties and took a big snip right in the center so to avoid further hesitation and time wasting.

And now! I have an initially embarassed horse who within ten minutes was truly embracing and loving her new do. I swear she grew two inches and fancy pranced the entire ride AND didn't even sweat an inch!
Woot!
I am honestly not sure why people are so opposed to roaching, it is just SO CUTE! 
I simply cannot wait for a small bit of growth so I can have a Trogan horse! 



8 comments:

  1. I love the mohawk look once it grows out a few inches. Then I try to trim it with scissors a bit to keep it that way. Unfortunately, I eventually always have to roach it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so cannot wait for the mohawk! Happy to hear another person loves the roach look, thought I was alone. haha

      Delete
  2. All the horses at my barn have roached manes and I love the look! We roached Gingers not too long ago and I really like it! Paloma looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gingy got a roach too!? I must scour to find photos! She much look gorg with that lovely neck!

      Delete
  3. I always want to roach to save money on braiding :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me a good roached mane! It really shows off an attractive neck, and she looks SO CUTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carly! I just need Bobby and I'd be all set! Lol

      Delete