Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January Thaw Walkabout



Sunday I decided I needed some barn time. It was just one of those days and I could use a pony snuggle.
Solo has been phenomenal in our rides, a little sass, but hey I'd rather get to know his limits at home than at a show or off premise. Plus, it helps me get to know his in and outs let's call them.
Rather than subject him to another ride, which he will be doing the rest of his life, I decided to go for a walk. Like walking the dog, but... A big one.
I grabbed Solo out of the paddock, the entire place is a flooded, muddy mess. I decided to use it and pulled up my rubber boots and waded through the river which is moving pretty quickly right now but only just under knee high. Solo normally doesn't care about the river but thought it was a different beast today.
He baulked but jumped through it after a bit of pressure. I wanted him to relax a bit more before I left it, so I pushed again and he walked up and down the side hoping I would give in. Thankfully I had a long line!
We never made it through that spot again until later on but I allowed an effort of putting his knees in and standing calmly. We proceeded out into the field, found a shallower, gradual spot to the river and walked in and down. Good boy! Though, based on his bowels he wasn't totally cool with it but did as asked.
I swear this guy is so hard to read sometimes! Quarter horse brain, combined with thoroughbred digestion haha.

On our walk we came across a couple of the little 'cross country' type jumps and I walked over them. Solo a little skeptical of them decided to LEEP with knees to chin. Sign of things to come?! Cute! I am going to die...But cute!
We crossed the road, something that took me ages to do with Pal, entered the field across the road passing huge tarped bales, odd farm equipment and many things I thought were a bit funky. I carefully watched Solo in the corner of my eye. He didn't even blink and no poo! Things must be cool!
The fields were a mudpie! Never the less, these boots are made for walkin! We kept to the edge running along the road. Traffic sailed by, no reaction. Hopefully that remains! Hallelujah.
We trekked back home after a short photo shoot showcasing Solo's boredom.

Back home all the horses had a case of spring fever. Bucking and dart farting. Solo stayed cucumber so I took him in for a good roll in the sand to dry off some of the muck on his legs.
Not complaining! I totally want to bank on this January spring.

Yes... Nature... Exciting...

Home is thataway!

Yes... Tuck tape. #jacktheripper strikes again.

You walk me to walk in this? May we skip and say we did? I won't tell!

4 comments:

  1. He sounds like such a good baby. And, bonus points for being super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's got such a sweet face!! Sounds like a great little walk about for him too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that side eye in the last picture. Sounds like he's one chill dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoo hoo, very successful outing! And lots of stuff he could have had a meltdown about but didnt. Good boy!

    ReplyDelete