Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hunter Bling and Tossing Our Carrots.

Solo dawning his new bridle.
I chose the removable flash option if in case he requires one later.

My one pet peeve, turned excuse, with getting a new horse is that hardly any of the tack items I have acquired actually fit Solo properly. Thankfully, my saddle has the gullet system and the lack of fill ie. muscling is temporarily fixed with the fabulous shimmable half pad my DH picked up for me last Christmas. But the gorgeous BR girth and Aramas bridle have sadly been uttered useless.
The girth, well it might fit one day, so I am holding out hope but the bridle was both too big and too small at the same time. Not salvageable:-(

That's enough of an excuse if I ever heard one! Bridle shopping y'all!

After a couple weeks of scoping and researching my options, knowing I need a oversize browband and throat latch, thanks to being a stallion for a couple years, but he also requires cob size cheek/bit pieces and full size noseband. I was left with quite a conundrum.
While I have a few random pieces of bridles kicking around from past horses, it is near impossible to match the dyes and/or stitching. Hmph. This would not do. Hehehe.
I found a couple manufacturers that would allow you to buy the bridle in pieces but in most cases I was paying triple the price and no reins. No way!
Fearing I would end up being stuck with mismatched bridle pieces I nearly gave up hope. Then I stumbled upon a post on COTH about Royal strap goods.
Based out of and sold in India I would not be able to sample the leather and quality before buying but they were very happy to help me custom make my bridle and had a huge array of bridle styles, colours, tones, padding colours and options. I felt like a kid in an online candy stores. Mwahaha.

I ended up selecting a 'hunter's' version of bling bridle. Ie, nothing drastic but different and complimenting. 
I ended up choosing an oak red brown dye to match my saddle, with a monocrown crown piece accented by stubben tan 'orangy brown' padding. The bridle also has white fancy stitching on a square raised brow and noseband, finally accented by white leather piping. *Angels sing* 
I swear this is made with thoughts of red dun horses with chrome. 

The bridle also came with the bonus of choosing reins. I opted for the thin matching rubber grip reins. These feel exemplary! 
At first I cringed at more bulky, unyeilding rubber reins but no! these are soft, pliable and easy to hold! Say what! We will see how many gloves I go through with these puppies.
However, Solo does not feel like he will be heavy on the hands likes Pal so this may not be an issue.


On the Solo note, I closed off 2016 with my eighth ride on senior Solo! 
Yesterday was a snowy rain mix, hovering just at the freezing mark. This made for 'snow zippers' in the arena. Well, that's the sound the snow makes as it slides off the arena coming to a crash when it hits the ground. Giant zippers!
I had a minor second thought that it might not be the best day to ride a very green horse, but the stubborn, just get over it part of me quickly dismissed it with the benefit of a learning for Solo. I am desensitizing right?!
So I tacked up, washed Solo's butt which I have now learned is caused because So loves to poop when he sleeps lying down. Grr. Yellow pee stains traded for chunky poo stains. Not sure what is better..
Then wrapped up his legs with polos since none of my boots fit either and fitted the new bridle, which of course got an oil pampering first.

I tossed Solo on the lunge hoping to feel out how he is with the zippers before I got in the tack. No problems. A few even slid down as he passed. They warranted a little glance but no more so I took my time and hopped aboard.

We practiced a few whoas, back ups and tested out how turn on the haunches/forehand and bending transfers to under saddle from in hand. A little confusion was found with tof and toh but he figured out a couple steps willingly so I let that go for the day.
We then got into a somewhat forward trot for a couple laps, serpentining, large circling and starting to teach Solo to move away from pressure. Using both the leg aid for over and backing up with same sided pressure from the rein and finally wide open rein where I wanted him to 'go'.
As Solo gave a step or two, I gave away the pressure with a scritch, repeated a couple times and moved on. We finished our 15minute ride with a canter each direction.
Solo was very willing and simple to pick up his left lead canter, the easy side and my easy direction. The right well... It was there last ride but today he was unbalanced to the right. After trying to get the lead a few times I settled with asking him to hold the counter canter for a 30m circle. He did. So I finished with a pat and I told Solo, "it'll come!" 
One part I am blessed with Solo is his balance in transitions, never does he 'run' into or out of a transition. Yet while coming out of the canter I gave with the reins to stretch down a zipper came behind us, Solo didn't spook per say but he lost his carrots.
(The carrot bits I bribe him with at the mounting block for 'happy experience') 
Apparently, he has not learned to chew with a bit and had taken a note from the squirrels.


Looking like a fuzzy winter baby.

Bling getting oiled. I got lucky the stitching and leather are beautiful.
Every attention to detail was thought of. Highly recommend!

1 comment:

  1. Exciting about the bridle! Also. Yea my guy gets manure allll through his tail ugh. I guess he leans against the butt bar in the trailer. Such a mess.

    ReplyDelete