Saturday, February 10, 2018
The Braveries of Teaching Baby Horse.
All my life I have always had or caught rides on baby horses. Why? Well mainly because my family didn't have the above average means or sense to spend the bucks on an equine with all the kinks ironed out. I get it though, spending 10k+ while still paying $3-500 a month in board plus lessons is a lot of groceries.
So in turn, I was the guinea pig for my coach and when I did get lucky enough to have my own, it was very green.
As an a young adult and out on my own I wanted a nicer horse with some reputable breeding and more potential. This means more bucks...
Having the privilege of learning about young horses and working with them I figured I might as well use it and get something not backed but fancier.
All in all it worked out well with Pal and is following the same track with Solo, if not better after my experiences with P, but sometimes especially since I am no longer a fearless teen, I question myself, wonder what the hell I am thinking and stop riding properly. I know better though, so sense kicks in and I quickly correct myself, bravery or no.
Pal as a youngster was less predictable but she has her tells, Solo is encouragable but can go from 0-60 quickly, yet he is easy to talk off the ledge and be convinced.
It is funny though how bravery is relative to your situation. A friend of mine also purchased a unbacked youngster recently, he also is the type that is less predictable but his uncertainty teeters on the edge of dangerous. I tell this friend of her insanity daily yet she keeps trucking.
The point of this story is my ride from yesterday, how I questioned my sanity at pushing the limits but to a necessary degree, I think, and how we thankfully came out on top. Me with the satisfaction that I made the right decision and satisfaction that my experience led me through my age instilled insecurities and Solo with more experience and connections in the making. (Experts say horses only think in the now but in my experience, what wasn't there last time but attempted is often there the next ride)
Flatting youngsters I find easy and I'm not easily intimidated but starting them over fences, when it gets real I mean, when they actually need to decide to jump.... Or not, is a bit more taxing on my survival instincts.
I have always believed in taking it slow with incorporating jumping, lots of pole work before but not much over fences until going on their fourth year.
Solo I have added more pole work than I had with Pal, less over fences but more planning and quicker progression.
I stuck it out with cross rails and low verticals for a good year with Pal she just wasn't convinced she'd liked it, still I didn't know if she did or more just tolerated me. Yet the beginning she was tough to get to the base and convince we were going. Dirty shoulder stops were her thing.
Solo has been more linear. He figures jumps are just raised trot poles. Lift your legs a little higher and trot.
I considered incorporating canter fences now, he is very good with canter poles but I have a feeling his coordination issues with his balance and bigger movement right now ups the chances of a negative experience popping up. Ie giving him fear rather than challenge and I like a good solid trot jump first, teaching a good 'sit', push and lift. All the right ingredients.
I opted for increasing height. Up until now 15" or maybe a 2' cross rail have been the name of the game but So is just trotting over. Good, calm and honest. Perfect!
I want a slight idea that we don't just trot jumps, we jump them. Best not to dwell on the teensy, get to the point. That's scary though!
Long story short, I set a placing pole ten feet to a barely 2'3 vertical with flag painted plank filler to another 10' landing pole.
The first time through I totally let my leg off and focused too much on the fence, Solo slowed to a walk and stepped/hopped over. Totally my fault and I knew what I was doing, damn!
Good boy!
I sucked up my qualms and rode properly after. We went through another 6-8 times each time I encouraged him in front of my leg, a hard feat with unsure baby horses and each time he tried something a little different but went like a trooper, good boy, he's thinking.
It felt almost as though he would get to the base, pause, sit, lift and tuck his knees to his chin, get stuck then remember he should now go over, though one would probably not notice unless you were riding it.
We ended with one fence where he actually pushed off evenly and jumped it rather than collapse in heaps.
I was overjoyed, forgot to keep riding after the fence, we'll get to that later, and gave So a big hug and pats.
It is then I remembered why we do this and why I convinced myself to baby horse again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like a good session!
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was!
DeleteStarting them over fences is always so nerve wracking, but so fun and rewarding too! Yay Solo!
ReplyDeleteIt is isn’t it! Your emotions are all over the place!
DeleteIt's really interesting how every rider is SO different and the comfort levels vary so much. I like you're really brave for getting an unbacked baby!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure it’s bravery or stupidity lol! Thanks for the compliment I’ll take it
Delete