Wow, has it truly been six weeks since I last posted on the blog?
I don’t really feel like a lot has happened since then but looking back at
the last post, I was just beginning to do canter fences with Solo.
Mind you no major break throughs have occurred since that stage and none
really should unless I pushed too much too fast but I feel like I have gained
quite a bit of confidence in him and he himself since that point.
We really only ‘jump’ once a week and just a small ‘gym’ a few times through. I don’t feel the need to drill
anything with him. He needs a few repetitions and then he is game.
It was the same with Pal but she was different in the way that she would simply
refuse initially and then make the same mistakes over and over in the same ride
and yet be totally on the next ride and I would wonder why I stressed about the
issue.
Solo is more the type that goes no matter what, yes he slows it down,
often dropping back to a small trot or a walk and pops over (for new elements
anyhow), no question if we are going over just a how smoothly. Then he follows
that by trying a milion and one different things thereafter.
At first, I wasn’t overly pleased with all the ‘flailing’, then I thought
about it and it hit me, ‘he is teaching himself…’
Pretty cool and he is nothing if not honest.
I have continued to build slowly on the exercises and so called gymnastics
with a ton of pole work both with little fences and without. The fences have
grown a bit (18’ to about 2-2’3), to encourage Solo to jump rather than take a
big trot step, which he still tries most of the time unless we canter in.
(Ironically, he is better balanced over poles and fences in the canter than
trot).
I have also added in a second fence in a line, which ends up being a one
stride line since we have little space. This makes it tight for baby horse to
figure out but I keep it low and just encourage honesty for now.
When I do canter single fences, with placing poles on each side I
occassionally get an astonishing jump. A real jump. One that even though low,
actually lifts me into my position and I get this odd feeling that the horse
has left underneath me, where did my head go?! Mind you it is still rare but it
brings to a forefront what I impatiently wait for in the future.
Flat wise. I have been riding quite a bit of shoulder-fore to the left since we are now able to turn in a balanced
fashion and without our heads in the air this direction but we lose the right
shoulder and often he feels stuck when I control the shoulder, he cannot figure
out how to turn so I have to support with outside leg aids.
Also the energy that we lost when Solo started stretching down and lifting
through the back, is building back. Whoo.
To the right, things continue to flow well, yet oppositely I must watch my
outside rein to ensure we don’t hollow and get too much curve in the neck and
barrel and then add little nudges with my inside leg to get that inside leg
stepping up to help straighten us out.
Worm I tell you!
Lastly, canter has made tremendous improvements. So much so I am actually
able to work on my position and leave him to canter on.
Solo really asks to stretch deep when in the canter though this makes it together,
difficult and easier to ride. Both I think because he is carrying me with his
back coming up but also because he gets much deeper and launches me in the
suspension moment. If I can catch the rhythm, things become blissful…until he
stumbles onto his face or I lose it.
Transitions still and will likely always need work. I have begun
incorporating the TOH/TOF then strike off into trot to help develop him. It
helps yet I have to watch the number I do because he gets a bit testy with too
much repetition. I say it is a man thing. You have to make them think it was
their idea…. *eye roll*
Anyhow, more for another day and hopefully a closer day than the time it
has taken me to write this!
Sounds like he's progressing really well!
ReplyDeleteSo many improvements! I love it ;D
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear he's doing so well!
ReplyDeleteYay! So happy you updated! Glad Solo continues being the best baby!
ReplyDelete