The Search.
I recently opted to set on a search for a pair of hoof boots for Solo. The weather and conditions around here typically result in sopping mud paddocks or as I stated above, razer sharp frozen mud.
Both of which do not bode well for poor pony hooves.
I have never really had any issues with Solo's feet other than endless chips but I had noticed that he was slightly tender when walking on larger grade gravel. Remedy for this was stay off large, stabbing gravel, more or less. Though, when this chip happened and left him with a short/flat sole combined with endless mud and now frozen mud, I had to do something.
My search for hoof boots seemed endless. Which one to buy? Which one will last? Which was is the right fit? Which one is the most economical without sacrificing quality? Mutiple Ugh's.
And.... in natural life fashion I found, decided and grabbed this pair the day before Solo got shoes on which for the most part, tackled all problems hoof. Chipping, cracking, sole bruising, flat footed-ness etc.
I literally took an entire month to commit to these hoof boots. For me, that is a long time! For one I am not patient, two; I research the bajesus out of things when I want something and three; I am chea...frugal.
There are so many options out there now and many of which are applied, strap up, measure and fit differently so how do you decide?
Well, my initial step was to find out what everyone is buying. Then read the reviews and see which ones perform best and are, for the most part, generically fitting.
The fit was the biggest hurdle.
Do I buy something that fits now? Will be a bit big but fit later and honestly, how the heck do you use this measurer thingy. (....There after, how do you decide when your horse's hoof falls right in between two sizes!
The Decision.
After too many articles, too many review and too many tack shop visits, I finally settled on the Easycare Easyboot Trail, not the new version but the original, more on that later.
These boots are made out of Cordura fabric and tough leather. The Cordura feels like a super tough tent material really. The straps are fashioned at the rear with double velcro that opens nearly 360* and folds down for easy application.
Inside at the toe there is a hard but maleable plastic that 'clips' on the toe to ensure no movement once on which is really handy but does take a tug to pull off.
The Easycare brand also offers a downloadable 'measuring tape' which is really handy for those who do not want to buy 'fitting' templates before purchasing a boot. The tricky part with the measurin tool is when your horse falls right on the cusp between two sizes. Which do you choose?
Solo fell right on the end of size 1 and size 2. While the manufacturer recommends measuring after a fresh trim, I personally feel mid trim cycle is best.
On a whim and finding an exceptional deal I purchased a pair of size 2. I stole these for just near $150 Canadian, shipped and with customs because they are difficult to find in Canada. Must better than the price tag of $450+ tax and shipping that the new style if selling for.
Yeah, they aren't the most stylish of the hoof boot category though they got the better reviews. Often falling 4-4.6 stars out of a 5 star scale with hundreds of reviews.
The Fit.
Much to my surprise after finding very little information on whether or not these can be used with shoes on, they can!
A sales person I spoke to at the company suggested placing a leather pad on the bottom or cardboard to protect the boot but I didn't, the shoe is likely less abrasive than a bare hoof in my opinion.
Of course, fit will be different with and without a shoe but since I sized up, the boot still fit well, though snug.
Note: You may notice the top of the boof around the pastern area will look loose, but it is likely not around the hoof portion, not to worry!
The Result.
Well, I have only now used them once, when Solo loosened his shoe from overtracking behind, I have to say it came in handy! Now yes, you do have to use two at once to ride, you can use one if needed in pasture for a 'flat tire'.
Solo was not entirely convinced he could still walk let alone stride out but I was still able to get a ride in whilst waiting for the farrier. And it was a ride with a lot of canter and quick transitions so we put those puppies to work.
The sole on the bottom of the boot is hard, thick and majorly tready so I anticipate these will be great for the trail and rough terrain.
Tips.
- Use the measuring tool and add a quarter inch if measuring early in cycle and vice versa, best to air on the side of larger than smaller because you can always buy the matching pads or gaiters for these boots.
Measure BOTH feet since they are sold individually AND your hooves may vary.
- Make sure to slide on and tap the toe to ensure snug.
- If looking for the Trail version, choose the original, not the new. The new style has many reviews on poor fit and durability.
- When using the first time, check your horse for sore or tendor sports on the heal and around the pastern about 20 minutes in. Boots do require break in time though I didn't have trouble.
Definetly a must buy.

No comments:
Post a Comment