Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Setting The Tone.


Yes, we can dressage.



We are now back into the grind of things seeing as Solo is finally bruise issue free. I sort of knew there would be a point at which Solo would need front shoes. His feet are just not blessed like the mustangs who can traverse over brutal rocky grounds without a hiccup, chip or crack. 

A large part is being stuck in the muddy messes we have had nearly all year. Totally wet year and the bobbing temps don't make it easy to dry up.


Anyhow, remaining grateful for having a saint to ride I jumped back onto the bandwagon and got to work.


Solo had other ideas.



After nearly 6 weeks of light plodding and hacking, Solo simply flipped me off when I said,  'Nu-uh we are going forward!'

... Well... in what can be called "Solo's flipping off" which ends up being a few tail swishes and head toss before obliging.

I think he really wants to honor his grandpappy and become a HUS pleasure horse or in his eyes, better yet, a western pleasure horse. 



I had set a string of fan poles in the corner, one of my favourite exercises which really helps Solo's flexibility, along with a placing pole to a small 2' vertical since last weeks gymnastic which comprosed of ground pole, 2'6 vertical, bounce over a pole and bounce over a raised pole turned out exceptionally hard for his baby brains. 

(Mind you, the saint got it done, and eventually sort of figured it out. The entire process involved a lot of pausing and fumbling.)


Later I realized he hasn't done much along the lines of tighter gymnastics. My own brain is becoming fried with a mixture of memories of Pal and Solo. Which horse did what? 


Moving through the ride and after a few good, 'GETTTSS' and taps to support my aid, Solo decided I meant business again and returned to his forward minded self. 


I always joke, he is forwarded minded but lazy boned.



While I focused on maintaining a good rhythm I also focused on what and where my body was. Especially through my circles since I have a tendency of pointing 'my headlights in the ditch', as a recent coach I lessoned with stated. 

Luckily, Solo responds well to my body. If I am stiff, he is. If I am bending and light, he is too. 


We did lots of loops and swoops off and back on the wall, keeping the adjustibility and his attention before I bit down into the root of my aim of the day. Impulsion. 



Solo tends to 'wake up' with work on changes (of which are not yet there but we continue to peck away at it) and quick canter transitions from walk to canter and back to walk. Afterwards he is uphill and responsive.


We tackled the mini gym a few times before I figured out that my efforts to keep off his back are just not received yet since he just doesn't have the strength to hold himself and me. As soon as I sat down, kept leg on and stayed in my 'box', he immediately was able to negociate where his feet go.

Terrifying white boxes yo'

Yes, we lost A TON of the momentum while he second guessed his confidence and figured out how to not stumble and where to put his parts. Though, I feel with him I need to let him think and just go with it before I micro manage.


Overall though, this guy is a major trier, despite HATING all white box jump fillers. Even last week in his confusion he still got over everything despite not having a clue what to do. 




Looking back over the year at videos from April I am shocked the progress we have made. 

That's another post!


No comments:

Post a Comment