
Full Moon Syndrome.
What is this you may ask? And how much will it cost me?
Well, let me ask you this. Do you ever have that ride and you think, 'Wow that was a truly fabulous ride, that was so random!'?
Do you ever think on it enough to notice a pattern? Or, eckham, obsess about it until you invent a pattern?
No? Oh... well a friend of mine and I did invent one. We call it Full Moon Syndrome.
Other than usual good riding we have noticed this 'thing' trending over the past year. Whether by dumb luck or actual logic, we swear it is real!
The Full Moon Syndrome does not have to fall on the exact night of the full moon but it does help I am sure. As long as you are within a day or so, you have a good chance at catching some of it's good vibes.
Exhibit A: Mich and Thunder have been going through the tell tale rough patch that we all go through every now and then. Mich goes out to ride on Sunday early evening and they have a grade 'A' note worthy ride that left them both shining I am sure. Full moon rising...
Exhibit B: I get out to the barn on Monday, yes, I admit I was dedicated and focused but it was much more received than usual. Pal has been pretty dull and lethargic from all this heat lately, today, she rocked my Zocks. (yes, a funny!).
I warmed up focusing on frequent changes of bend, keeping it smooth and ensuring I am keeping 'smiley' butt, no 'frowny' butt and that my spine was connected and strong not inverted and weak. We moved on to forward and back within and changing gates. Then proceeded to work on our recent nemesis...
The Shoulder In....:O
I prepped with my usual prepatory circle and proceeded down the long side. I had some typical initial stiffness in Pal's right side, I half halted with my seat and outside rein, repositioned myself to have a more effective inside leg and wiggled my ankle instead of steady pressure.... All of a sudden the puzzle pieces slid into place.
We were able to hold the position for a good 10 steps, pretty good in my books!
Good tip by the by. I read in one of my Anne Kursinski books that wiggling your ankle while applying pressure makes it difficult for a lazy horse to stiffen against your leg.
It seems to work well for Paloma!
Hmmm I know the full moon typically brings more weirdos into the ER and the Police stations (or so I've been told)
ReplyDeletesometimes i get confused as to why the horses (or drivers on the road ugh) are acting all crazy... then i think, 'oh yea full moon. duh' also i love that tip about wiggling your ankle!
ReplyDelete