For one, it tends to make me a bit more ambitious about my rides and two, if I have a near death experience someone is around to hear my yelps.
Wait... maybe number two isn't so great... If no one is around to see me fail, it didn't happen! Therefore, I am equess-extraordinaire! Right!? (Ha!)
Often times when I am riding lately, these riders will show up and look disappointed when they see me in the barn. I swear these people don't realize that more than one rider/horse pair can be working at the same time. This ain't no VIP lounge y'all.
So usually I get the... 'Oh, I didn't know you were coming tonight. Is it okay if I ride too?'
Mentally, I retort with something snarky for making me feel like an intruder in a facility I pay for too.
But I then gather my polites, sit tall, smile and say,
'Of course! I love having riding buddies...',
'Oh, you want to learn to jump, sooo.. you want to ride with me?...ohhkay...' *sigh*
In truth, I do. I love having a good 'ole riding pal with me. Notice, singular.
What I don't love is when people ride up my horses behind or forget the left-left rule or drone on and on with questions. *cries* Yes, I get it. Knowledge is power, don't take this wrong, but your not paying me to coach you, puhleeeassee just let me ride my horse....
'This here....*draws circle around horse and ones self*... Is my space, this here, *draws circle around other horse and other rider pair* is your space. Let's play a game where these 'force fields' cannot touch and I cannot hear you. Fun eh?'
No, I cannot say that because I mentally hear my Mother telling me that 'attitude is image, we must be polite'... on the outside.
In turn, I have created my own demons now that two fellow boarders are chasing me down and giving me hell for not letting them know I was coming to the barn or sending me text messages asking me when I am riding so they can ride with me.... and lastly, the most recent text, 'Do you think you can pick me up so we can ride together?'. Sorry but no, you are in the complete opposite direction AND you live in a maze. I mean this in the most heartfelt way possible but how do you project this 'No' without feeling like a total bum-hole?
Ignoring, smiling and nodding, only last so long. Eventually I am going to be faced with slaying this demon that I have created.
My personal fave is when people at my barn tell me its 'too dangerous to ride alone and I shouldn't do it' and I roll my eyes because I drive farther and spend more time riding than them.. so wtf would I do.. not ride ever?
ReplyDeleteHA! The demon of people wanting to hang out with you. There are worse things to have. :)
ReplyDeleteBut I will say that a riding buddy who you NEVER have to worry about when you're sharing the ring -- they always know the rules, can steer, understand space management -- is worth their weight in diamonds.
lolz.... anybody expecting (or requiring) to get the arena all to themselves will be in for a rude disappointment at my farm! it's kinda flattering tho that people want to ride with you bc they see you as being able to help them, even if you're not interested in doing so
ReplyDeleteJust slate a day for riding with one of the boarders. That way, you can reject ther advances on other days.
ReplyDeleteI like having a riding buddy or two, too, but I'm very picky about who they are. We have TWO big rings. There's no reason you have to cut in front of me all the time!
ReplyDelete