![]() |
| Eva Creek |
Shall I begin this post with the reminder that there are only 25 days left until Christmas...?
Hate me for the reminder?
How about I mention that I have shopped until DH finally had a canary at the credit card bill, decorated the house until my heart was content AND everything is now wrapped with ribbons, bows, and obnoxiously coloured holiday paper whilst sitting under a perfectly prim Christmas tree?
Hate me a little more now? :P
I realized today that it has been awhile since I really got down to details on my recent over fences schools so I thought it time to get on it.
This past week I have incorporated a couple gymnastic exercises into my flat schools. It is rare that you will find me truly dedicating a ride to just jumping. My outlook is that your horse only has so many fences and so many rides, in turn set your goal thoughtfully, learn thoroughly, and quit with good notes. Ie learn not only during but after. Ride it again mentally.
Earlier in the week, Mish-mosh and I were able to meet up to get in a ride which was just fabulous.
We had set up an 'S' curve gymnastic with two small verticals bending just off the wall, opposite to each other and a third set at X. A figure eight more or less.
I have accepted recently that many of Paloma and my 'faults' over fences stem from me. Me letting her get too strung out, too long, too low. And me crawling up her neck. All in all, Paloma saved my hiney too many times that it has taken me too long to see.
I found the above exercise invaluable for my position. A- because the tight set up in the arena makes me think and ride properly and B- stemming from A, being so tight and turny I feel a great need to jump on Paloma's neck at the fences to make up for the apparent lack of momentum.
I had to force myself to realize that I am just along for the ride, the horse jumps, the horse makes the effort, don't hinder her front end!
My mental rehearsing didn't help but what DID help was widening my hands and focusing on following, or 'auto release' as it is now called. This really forced me to keep my body quiet. This way if I did dump my body on her neck, I am likely going down. Talk about incentive!
Yesterday, I had the idea of working on the same thing but with the benefit that comes from bounces for Paloma. As a result, I get to focus on just me, while she gets to improve her own 'posture' too.
Bounces though.. are not my favourite exercise. Actually, I find them pretty intimidating. Looking down the line and seeing an array of poles seemingly one on top of the other, eckham.. let's not. BUT I pulled on my big girl panties and got to it because bounces are great for Paloma.
In the end, things went very well.
Initially, the first couple times through, I forgot wide hands and following. Paloma made up for my lack of riding. When I finally got my shitake together though, huge difference. Paloma jumped better, more confident, more balanced and landed the lead I asked for rather than swapping after.
Revelation! I was seriously screwing up her balance!
Despite the exercise going so well I still got the flutters every time I turned towards the gym.
I honestly do not understand my problem. In my last life did I die while doing bounces?

Its all those poles, they're intimidating!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, super envious of your Christmas organization - I am so unprepared I think I'm going to have to avoid it and hide from everyone this year :)
i both love and loathe bounces.... so much to look at! but so useful...
ReplyDeleteI love the feel of bounces but also get intimidated staring them down. Actually, honestly, one strides are worse. Because one stride is just enough time to fuck things up and not enough time to fix things. Two strides Murray and I can get out of if we screw up, but one strides... oooh boy. I will be practicing lots of those this winter to improve my form and Murray's confidence!
ReplyDelete