Short post today but I had to share my sunday laugh-pisode which nearly had me rolling out of the tack.
Today was a beautiful day. The temps hit a high of 11'c, which is pretty epic this time of year, so despite my serious lazy mood and total undesire for going anywhere further than from bedroom to coffee pot to couch I considered it a sign and got my ass to the barn.
Paloma, of course, was in the very back forty. Clearly having other ideas for spending the beautiful day.
I had decided to have a short over fences school, taking advantage of the bit of extra time I have on weekends but it was not meant to be since the grass ring was still a bit soggy from all our recent rain storms.
While larger fences were out I figured we could set a tiny fence and do a bit more position work for me and still be safe.
Everone knows I am always on the look out for new and terrifying ways to scare the bejesus out of my dear Paloma. Loving horse-mom I am!
I mean I would much rather make a scene at home than at the shows. You know that feeling when you trip over your feet and nearly fall flat on your face, then quickly glance around to see who might have caught a glimpse of your near epic fail?
Yeah, well I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen in front of a crowd. Though, I'd likely be the first to laugh. And today I was the first and sadly only one to laugh.
I had dragged out the heavy culvert tube we have at the barn, added some poles and hit the jackpot when I found a neon orange magic snow carpet in the hay pile. Weird right? But very awesome. And I placed this in front of the tube for some scare effect.
Planning to use the same figure eight exercise I use indoors since we are tight on space I warmed up as usual and began the approach. Paloma didnt hesitate, didn't baulk or flinch at the obnoxious coloured addition , but she did however, jump what felt like five feet over the obstacle. Glancing at the shadow we made, it had to have been atleast four feet! Then she decided, for added effect, to kick out behind for good measure. You know just in case It decided to attack.
After safely landing I couldn't contain myself and exploded in laughter. Paloma was pleased that she kept us safe I am sure. Lol.
The episode was not singular. It all but continued each and every time we ran through the exercise. Only slightly less flamboyant each time.
Luckily or maybe unluckily, in short course eventing there are no style points. So if we ever encounter neon orange in our courses I now expect a similar outcome.
Maybe we should enroll with the lipizaners... Well, only if they have orange!
Today was a beautiful day. The temps hit a high of 11'c, which is pretty epic this time of year, so despite my serious lazy mood and total undesire for going anywhere further than from bedroom to coffee pot to couch I considered it a sign and got my ass to the barn.
Paloma, of course, was in the very back forty. Clearly having other ideas for spending the beautiful day.
I had decided to have a short over fences school, taking advantage of the bit of extra time I have on weekends but it was not meant to be since the grass ring was still a bit soggy from all our recent rain storms.
While larger fences were out I figured we could set a tiny fence and do a bit more position work for me and still be safe.
Everone knows I am always on the look out for new and terrifying ways to scare the bejesus out of my dear Paloma. Loving horse-mom I am!
I mean I would much rather make a scene at home than at the shows. You know that feeling when you trip over your feet and nearly fall flat on your face, then quickly glance around to see who might have caught a glimpse of your near epic fail?
Yeah, well I do my best to make sure that doesn't happen in front of a crowd. Though, I'd likely be the first to laugh. And today I was the first and sadly only one to laugh.
I had dragged out the heavy culvert tube we have at the barn, added some poles and hit the jackpot when I found a neon orange magic snow carpet in the hay pile. Weird right? But very awesome. And I placed this in front of the tube for some scare effect.
Planning to use the same figure eight exercise I use indoors since we are tight on space I warmed up as usual and began the approach. Paloma didnt hesitate, didn't baulk or flinch at the obnoxious coloured addition , but she did however, jump what felt like five feet over the obstacle. Glancing at the shadow we made, it had to have been atleast four feet! Then she decided, for added effect, to kick out behind for good measure. You know just in case It decided to attack.
After safely landing I couldn't contain myself and exploded in laughter. Paloma was pleased that she kept us safe I am sure. Lol.
The episode was not singular. It all but continued each and every time we ran through the exercise. Only slightly less flamboyant each time.
Luckily or maybe unluckily, in short course eventing there are no style points. So if we ever encounter neon orange in our courses I now expect a similar outcome.
Maybe we should enroll with the lipizaners... Well, only if they have orange!

lol that's one athletic mare!
ReplyDelete