Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Ride #6/7- Can-ter, Chipped Feet and Big Bangs.

Solo at a weanling futurity in Quebec.
Aside from the fact that I really need to get some of my own photo content, things around here have been going really well. Solo is loosing some of his dull coat and getting a lovely shine, his feet well.... will be an ongoing battle until spring likely. However, they are not causing him any ill effects, *knock on wood*, other than being ugly.
The farrier had mentioned that he likely had not had his feet done in a year or more which caused the arrow like shape with flared sides and pointed toe. The pointed toe is now mostly gone but the side flares are still present and causing some side wall bruising and chipping now that the ground underwent the drastic change from mud pie to frozen tundra.
Oh well,  one can only trim so much each time.

Ride #6 and #7, have gone extremely well. Taking my time while mounting, patting the tack, the saddle, running my hands all over him while leaning on him and producing snacks and rubbins each time he turns his head to look at me and investigate has proved an excellent ice breaker towards getting over his sensitivity to legging up and over.
The past two rides I have opted out of lunging in favour of ground work, (TOH, TOF and sidepass in hand etc). I have also introduced a canter at the end of each ride, a mere 5-10 strides before I bring him back. Not willing to risk more wear and tear on his growing joints than need be. Concentrating on 10-15 minutes of producing a good whoa, back two steps, walking and trotting serpentines or poles. All of which Solo is taking in stride with a little tail swishing sass now and then when I ask for a bit more forward than he thinks is necessary or he gets confused.
The few steps of his canter I have gotten to ride have been lofty, long and reaching. I cannot wait until we can actually work a few laps with this canter. *le sigh*
Ride #6, I should mention because I am mostly fascinated about this guy's brain, but during this ride in particular someone across the road was firing off shotguns randomly. While the other horses in the arena took off bucking or bolting, Solo didn't even bat and eye. My good boy!

Lastly, I have also learned that my poor guy has a sensitive gut flora. Both the penicillin he received after his gelding and the dose of ivermectin he received when the ground froze have prompted softer stools for twelve/twenty four hours afterwards. I have heard this is caused by certain antibiotics that kill the bad bacteria, including the good. Out of curiosity, has anyone else had this happen?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, feet are always causing problems, hah. And they take FOREVER to fix

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby always gets really loose stool after getting wormed. A dose or two of probiotics with his wormer keeps it from happening, but I usually end up dosing him afterwards because I forget to do it at the same time. Whoops. :P

    ReplyDelete