Today was a chilly and damp spring day. I aimed to study before heading to the barn because I couldn't help but think about it yesterday (Saturdays I strive to take the day off studying), though it doesn't help me not think about it and it absolutely does not help thme guilt despite it being the only day I give myself. Yet it still consists of hours of cleaning and overall housework....ugh.
Anyhow, I studied for a couple hours while lessons went on at the barn and got to the barn about 1:30pm. It is a weird feeling when every time I show up, every one else vacates. Whateves.
I went to grab Solo and found him macking with his girlfriend whom I swear has teenage girlfriend syndrome. The filly even tries to block me as I make my way to Solo and he tries to walk around her. I silently giggle since it reminds me of the girls at the barn who are 15y/o and cry about their boyfriends going away for the weekend. Ha. If only, right!! Lol.
Solo was still a mouthful of hair, but slightly less. I decided to use fan poles after looking back at some videos of Paloma and my lessons during her 3y/o year. They absolutely helped her balance! That is one thing Solo needs help with. He is a special blend... he tends to flop all over the place rather than actual imbalance in his gaits which normally show up in transitions with young horses. Oddly his transitions are very balanced and absolute. Must be the quarter horse bum!
I started my ride with the tip of another blogger. Walking on the buckle to build So's confidence, seemed to work well since he was unusually relaxed for the rest of the ride. No real tail swishing.
We worked mostly with the fan poles. Focusing on a forward trot. I have been asking for slight softness. Not severe but a mere, "hey hey, relax, soften up the neck and jaw". So doesn't tighten his jaw like Pal did but he tends to brace in his back. The inside leg, outside rein seems to give him an inkling that it feels good to go foreword and relax. This combined with the fan poles really began to loosen up his back and by the end of the ride he was actually reaching down like Pal loved to, however difference being he surges from behind with a ton of strength. This seemed oddly fast for his age. Though, given his sensitivity and conformation it makes sense he would catch on quicker.
Let us hope it stays and does not chameleon into something evasive haha.
After about twenty minutes we called it quits a few minutes after feeling glimpses of unbalanced yet revolutionary movement.
It still strikes me how different he and Pal are. I even had to ask a friend about my ride .. can it be true? He sort of understands what he needs to do after only six months? This took Pal almost two years and was still hit and miss....(due to her smarts on evasions I am sure).
Is this just the difference between a willing gelding and a cunning mare?
Either way, I take it!
-K

No comments:
Post a Comment