Monday, June 5, 2017

Of Baby Tantrums & Glimpses of Tomorrow



June? Where did May go? June? Where is summer?

I cannot believe we sit here now in June. I don't know how I miss an entire month of not blogging and recapping the goings on.
Anyhow, getting past the theatrics or into however you want to look at it, May was a roller coaster. It was chock full of barn drama that no matter how I attempt to avoid and run from, I always tend to be the one who cares enough to say that something is really unsafe. And I say it in a kind, 'trail' may be a better way..' then people go baserk. Now, I won't repeat the drama unfolding but I have to say some people cannot speak, only yell and some are immensely disrespectful.

I have now reserved myself to riding alone and at 6am just so those situations are out of sight out of mind. It cannot affect me. Hopefully.

On the Solo front. He is having pasture grass for the first time, as in EVER! Ha. My sheltered child! 
The boarding barn I am at unfortunately did not follow the hour by hour increase rule more than a day or two so the poor guy ended up with gut upset and some liquid gas like he gets if the food change is too fast. 
Me, as intense as I get about things, researched everything again and found Equisure. Seeing as it was like Tums for horses I formed out the $60cdn for the two week bucket. Three words. Don't buy it. Not only did it not help but it actually exasperated the issue giving him very sensitive flanks. Ugh. 
KER the company who makes it did talk me into keeping it going at a low dose for a week to no avail. I have contacted them again letting them know, let us hope they stand behind their product and allow me to return the rest. 
I hope we are getting to the clear again as the runny bum was almost non existent yesterday.

Other than this, riding has been going well. I am learning a great deal about expanding my riding vocabulary, after allnot all horses can be ridden the same.
My dressage coach says Solo has the polar opposite of issues that Pal did. I knew he was different but I couldn't identify how and how best to handle, which I am still learning but apparently Solo is 'blocked' behind where Pal was up front. She gave me a visual of a spring being compressed not having a clue where to go which is Solo, and Pal was a compressed spring with a brick wall on the front end. Both workable issues, Pal's felt easier but was actually tougher to get past. And Solo's feels awful but has an easier long term forecast. For him it will be about strength, growing and not allowing his front shoulder to get too far ahead until he has the strength to balance it and keep his hind in sync.

Solo also got his teeth done and wolf teeth pulled with his shots this month.... So far I see a major difference in his weight gain and stretching down into the bit.

Lastly, while trot is going very well, canter is still a bit of an event. Solo tends to anticipate and get his head up in my face rather than relaxing. Which I have learned is partially my fault from correcting him on his leads too quickly after bringing him back to trot, letting only a step or two and asking again and his personality of worry wart. Coach has lent quite a few tips for feeling where the right lead is in the trot, ironically with him, outside leg to control the shoulder and inside opening/softening rein. This is tough for my brain but works and will have to do until he can balance behind a bit more.

Now, off to work to pay the equine bills!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment