Friday, June 23, 2017

Quenching Or Teasing; The Hunger for Hunters.


Looking like a hunter baby, minus sunscreen, dirty feet and cut cream....


This morning it was pouring buckets of rain. The thunder woke me up a few times during the night but I still felt decently rested.
Pouring my own bucket, of coffee, I headed to the barn to rescue Mr Solo since he resides outside during the summer months, I am actually debating keeping him out this coming year but that is for another day. 
I found Solo lying in the run in shed all curled up... in pile of mushy poo, yummy.

I groomed as best I could and set up a raised 'cross' pole, maybe a mere 6" off the ground at the highest point with some 'scary' flowers in the middle. My goal with Solo, even though I won't start him over fences until coming 4 y/o, is to get him accustomed to fillers as much as possible and get him 'thinking' jump or at the very least, teaching him where his feet are. 

With Pal, I had waited until 4y/o to begin really anything to do with canter poles, fillers etc. While I had used poles quiet a bit, it did not seem to teach her that the poles fall if you hit them. All in all, these were things that I could have been doing when she was learning about foot placement rather than allowing her to 'learn' that the poles don't do anything if you hit them.

Anyhow, the same flowers that Pal used to think were very scary, didn't faze Solo. We mostly just worked on stretching down and into the contact today, I have to say tracking left was MUCH improved today. We trotted through the middle of the poles, over the flowers. Working on staying relaxed and straight to fences. (However, I have to say I need to work on the subtlety of steering. What was once heavy and felt like I had zero power steering fluid, is now very light and slightly too sensitive). 
Solo banged the poles a couple times and they bounced off the hollow plastic square risers, making bad noises. He wasn't concerned but didn't want to do it again the next time and lifted his feet much better.
I have opted not to punish, or tap if he knocks. With Pal, she didn't really care, but Solo, he cares. So I just let him learn.

Getting up into the canter we had a mixed bag. Some plowing and some reaching, proper, spots. Mostly just fumbled. But I expected it. We don't do a ton of work in canter anyways and pretty well zero in canter, so we will add this to the To Do list for next rides.

The ride left me wanting, anticipating how he will be in future over fences. Realizing at this age, I can't ask him to actually start jumping and knowing how uncoordinated he is right now with his yo-yo growth, it would not be a good idea.

I do wonder though, raised poles might be a good substitute. Next to no strain on the joints, well no more than flatting, it will offer him variety and make him more aware. I think I could chomp on that for awhile? 

Will it quench my thirst? Or tease my hunger?


K




Looking all AQHA





1 comment: