Have you ever tried to climb a staircase backwards?
No? ...well, me neither but I imagine it would be really hard and feel a lot like how riding Solo feels right now. Always fighting your bodies seeming need to tilt your body this way and that and then your conscious attempts to right yourself.
On top of riding an unbalanced youngster, I am also riding a youngster who has two bodies squashed into one package and maintaining your body in he center of said two bodies is quite a challenge.
For the last two weeks, Solo has been undergoing a massive vertical growth spurt. However, only on one end of the horse. His haunches are bordering nearly 2" taller than his wither.
I had initially noticed that my saddle just didn't fit right. Unusual sweat patterns first, solved by swapping to a medium-wide gullet (as narrow as this guy is, he is getting a big shoulder). Then, when tacking up one day I thought he might be sucking his belly up, I checked, he wasn't, until I then realized he was insanely bum high.
Mind you, Pal went through some crazy growth spurts at times, it was at most an inch, if that, before the rest of her would catch up.
I had read and spoken to many owners/breeders of AQHA's and they have advised that they grow much quicker than the warmblood breeding, but really, all this at once?
Either way, I can appreciate the growth because it brings him very close to my ideal height of 16 hands. However, I have to say it is very tricky to ride. My body is constantly wanting to get in a sort of hunt seat, rather than maintaining a more upright dressage seat, which he needs at this stage of training. Any extra weight on the front end is just a loosing battle.
You might think, 'well, why not give him time off?'
Well, yes I could and I think he would be fine with it, but he literally waits at the gate every day until he has had his ride, and those days he has off he sulks. (Very much like mama, cannot have fun until we know the work is done).
As well, I find at this age the light work keeps them sounder in the future.
After much reading, many studies have found that mild concussion on the joints and cartilage at a younger age, (not too young), lead to stronger, healthier joints etc later on in life as this is the time for growth in these areas. The body is an amazing beast, changing to adapt to what will be asked of it.
Progress still seems unaffected, he is still happy to work so really it is just me who has to deal.
Always taking a positive outlook- it makes me very aware of my body!
| Exhibit A. Please ignore soaked rain pony. |
| Miserable wet pony. |
| 'Did you say you has cookies?... sad wet pony needs a cookie cheer up' |

Mild concussion is for for their bones and ours. On days I handwalk Dante I like to purposefully walk him for 20 minutes on hard pack or concrete.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! I am going to do this for sure! Thanks for sharing
DeleteI was going to suggest doing ground work on days like that too while they grow. So much can be accomplished on the ground!
ReplyDelete