Solo is a pretty zen guy, though if something sets him off it can be tricky to get his brain back on track. Baby brain I can only assume.
I had in mind a pole exercise, three trot poles, to a pole spaced 9ft away from the last trot pole to simulate a 'jump'. All in hopes to work on picking up the canter on the other side.
Let's just say in all things true to horses... we didn't make it that far.
I tend to have a long walk warm up... whether this is to let the coffee kick in or because I generally like to get a feel of where we are and what we need to do, I am not sure.
During the warm up we walked by the open arena garage door, the windy was howling through and wound up picking up a piece of the torn arena tarp. It is partially attached still and ended up reaching Solo and touching him on the shoulder. MELTDOWN AHH!
From there on, Solo wouldn't really relax. We managed to get some work in, though he is still very stiff tracking left, fighting my requests for bend or even just a little flexion in the neck. We continually worked, attempt sorry... to work shoulder in, leg yield, spirals etc to help loosen what I assume to be his tight right side.
We really weren't getting anywhere, however our canter transitions were spot on, I was getting hot so I tossed my scarf on the door. A scary, terrifying stripey scarf!
Mind you, Solo didn't care until we swapped directions and of course we were not going near that thing. I tried all my tricks, busying his mind, making changes, circling way before it and spiraling out etc etc... he would not take his eye/ear off it. Normally, I expect a scoot spook, Solo was all 'I AM NOT going anywhere near THAT. Ride stops here!'
Eventually, I got frustrated, picked up the lunge whip (which was near the scarf by the way ugh), and rode with it in my inside hand, jiggling it in the air when he began to fixate on the scarf again.
It worked well and we continued through it but his mind and body had checked out so I walked So out and hopped off. I went to pick up my scarf off the door and melt down ensued. Like really? You spook at nothing? Why a scarf... why today *Insert tired cry face*.
So.... we had a discussion about scarves.... this is where we ended up.
| "Omigosh, I get it already, scarf is no longer scary.... this is going on the internet isn't it??!!" |
| Solo literally sat like this for minutes while I gufawwed laughing. So embarrassing of course! |
He looks like a russian grandma with it on his head like that lol
ReplyDeleteHahahahaha! Awesome. I didn’t even think of that!
DeleteLol just don't travel to quebec looking like that 😂😂
ReplyDelete