Friday, October 6, 2017

Linear Progress.






Phew... where does the time go?
I always mentally rehearse my blog titles and content but getting the chance to sit my butt down and commit fingers to keyboard seems so darn difficult!

The past two weeks have been very linear as far as the training scale with Solo. He has the occasional moment of baby sass when he doesn’t quite understand or finds something tricky. As far as it goes is a little tail swish or a nose ‘f you’ as I have dubbed it, then he moves on and gives it a shot.
He is a very fast learner and easy to teach.

I tend to try to switch it up now being constrained to the indoor. Overall we have made good progress  on all his “assignments”, for instance, canter transitions while still met with sass when I ask a little too firmly, which isn’t firm at all but spells out just how sensitive and in tune he is, however the transition itself is very prompt and reaching. Leads are decent if I ask at the right time, which is sometimes hard to feel with baby horse awkwardness, but he consciously does a little skip if when I asked would have gotten the wrong lead and he does a mini change of leg behind to strike off properly. That is very smart y’all!

The transition into shoulder in from shoulder fore is still causing slight grief but progress is still linear just slower than others. Solo tends to fall on my outside leg, attempt to correct and fumbles. Rinse, repeat and I ask for a little less of a degree change and we can hold it for a few strides.
I am not concerned with this because it is all about strength behind and he has the cards stacked against him right now being a full 1 1/2 inches (measured) higher at the haunches than his wither, this and actual strength that will build as we go.

Softness and forward still reign his best quality. A ten minute brain warm up and his is game for anything and is truly softening through his back now. I can actually sit his launching canter most of the time. To the right more than left though. He is also now accepting the bit in the canter. Hallelujah because that was ugly!

Trot and canter poles were once stumbling blocks but are now actual gymnastics to be conquered, yahoo!
AND we even did our second crossrail this morning. A bit higher than the last one just to emphasize an actual lifting of the front rather than falling over.
I preceded the crossrail with a pep talk, lame I know but Solo gets me, I explained the steps to jumping beginning with the trot poles to shifting of his weight to the haunch and lifting the front etc.
Solo completely understood, trotted right in and picked a decent spot (if that exists for a crossrail), and popped right over. A sort of jump and a HUGE party on the other side.
We came through twice more. More because I rode a bit too defensively and forgot to steer through the poles, in turn we ended up over the higher sides than center so Solo actually had to jump slightly. His jump felt amazing though, he brings his head down, rounds his back and snaps his knees but then my reins were too short and I didn’t follow well enough, so I caught a touch of mouth. I am so used to horses who don’t use their necks! Sorry buddy! He totally took the joke and didn’t make a peep about it.

I am super impressed with this guy. I am hoping he continues to be such an impressive partner. I also cannot wait to actually start jumping in the spring. For now all I get are a crossrail or two once every few weeks.... ho him


No comments:

Post a Comment