![]() |
Paloma-
Soo unimpressed that she is the only horse
that has to work today.
|
Not much has happened these past few days. Riding has been pretty much out due to this dirty cold and blizzard like conditions.
Lessons at the barn were cancelled due to the extreme cold snap but I decided to head out to the barn anyways, sporting my hideous snow pant breeches that I have owned for five years and have maybe seen the light of day twice. Whoever invented these things should receive a smack. Yes, they are somewhat warm, yes, they have full seat grippies but someone forgot interior leg anti-slip. My breeches sure stuck to saddle but my legs were having a serious slippage issues.
Anyways, I opted to ride in the once luscious grass arena, which is now the newly proclaimed snow arena.
I always love riding in the fresh fluffy powder. Paloma gets a great workout in a short time and I get to experience the hidden Nos Booster in her haunches. Talk about uphill!
I groomed and tacked quickly, noticing a slight glint to Paloma's eyes. I figured she was in a playful mood, no biggy. Playful for her usually ends up in a few squeaks after I have mounted and a little jiggity movement but the wild energy is quickly harnessed and we get down to some serious work with great results. I love this version of her!
Today's energy was quickly labeled... schizo Sunday.
The ride started off like a walk in the forest through deep snow. Pal was looking and stretching down to grab some snow every now and then. After a quick stretch out I picked up a trot to get her muscles warmed up. Her trot was brisk but very lofty. So lofty that I was constantly bounced up into my post rather than lifting myself. Ahh... So nice.
Noticing Paloma was a bit aloof to my aids, we settled down into some lateral work and transitions.
She was very prompt and sensitive to my aids, so I decided to work on some lengthening's which is my favourite exercise through the snow. Getting a little over excited she broke to canter, no biggy.
It did take a couple circles to bring her back but she obliged while the other horses watched with interest or pity, I am not sure which.
Near the end of our half hour ride, I decided to let Pal go for one last canter, this is where the schizo came in, it was a total 180 compared to the Paloma I know.
I sat up in a light half seat to allow her to stretch a bit, work in the snow is taxing, I know. Paloma saw this as an invitation to have a buck fest, which in turn got all the other horses bucking and tooting to their hearts content. Fueling the fire, so it continued.
I couldn't stop laughing let alone think so I sat up and let it happen. Bad pony momma.
Paloma never bucks under saddle and I mean NEVER ever since the day I backed her so I figure she was just playing.
And I should clarify, when I say 'buck' I don't mean the normal horse sized buck. Pal's 'buck' is more squeal and less buck, even when she plays in turnout. I really should call it a slight air of the haunches.
After a good show of Air's Above the Ground and a few questioning looks from my neighbour Pal settled right back down and worked even better than she had before. Naughty Palomis....
On another note, the Serial Ripper has thankfully been moved to a blanket-less paddock just next door so he can still see his buddies. He seems quite content and Paloma's new blanket is left unharmed. (No, I didn't jinx it. This is only typing not actual verbal content... I hope!)
![]() |
| Me in my icecube selfie. I am seriously debating ski goggles next time. |
![]() |
| I should have known she was plotting something... |



Sassy mare is sassy! :)
ReplyDelete