This is a long overdue post but I wanted to make sure I was happy with the product before you all shared in my excitement. There is nothing worse then getting all wound up about something and then it not happening or not turning out the way you wanted.
For the last couple years, ever since buying my new saddle, I have been struggling to find the perfect bridle. This all started because Bates does not make bridles which makes finding the right colour and stitching to match the saddle next to impossible. I believe this is my fifth bridle in the last four years... Two of which dear pony-kins broke the crown piece when I accidentally let the reins dangle a little too much whilst putting poles and standards away.
Unfortunately, Pal isn't one to step on, feel resistance and pause in question for owner to 'un-stuck' them, Pal freaks her freak. Drives me insane! Too many lead ropes, halters, bridles, trailer ties and martingales murdered by this. Mostly human error I know but none the less despairing.
Now, that I know I tend to go through strap leather goods quite quickly I have a tack-lady on my speed-email list. This lady is seriously fabulous. She gets brand new tack on a regular basis and sells them for fantastic prices! Mind you they may be last year's or the previous years model but I honestly don't care. Good quality tack is age-less.
While I was off work over Christmas/New Years I got looking at my new in summer 2013 Exselle bridle and I just didn't like it. The quality and colour is lovely, butter soft leather with attention to detail being very evident but the stitching was black. Plus, I am not really a fan of fancy stitching. It just seems... like a fad that has long past and as usual I haven't kept up.
So, I sent my strap goods lady an email, asking her if she had any square raised or plain raised bridles in the Bates type oak bark colour which is between traditional oak bark and Havana. White stitching a must since my Bates has quite the detailed white stitching on the flaps.
She replied the next day saying she had an Arama's plain raised snaffle with white stitching. Brand new, reins and all with tags still attached.
I took a look at the price tag online since I don't really follow tack brands unless I have owned them in the past and I noticed that it was slightly out of my budget. Or DH's opinion of my budget.
I replied thanking her for the suggestion and thought, what the heck I will ask the price but thinking nothing will come of it. I swear I thought about the bridle all day. It was stunning.
Turns out she just wanted to clear out some of her stock pile and offered me a fab price since I am a serial repeat customer.
I went and picked it up the following day and oiled it all up nice for Pally.
I am just in love with this bridle. The leather is excellent quality and has the feel of good french leather. The kind that stays soft and doesn't get that rough, nappy feel when the leather is dry. The stitching was a bright creamy white which nicely contrasted the deep mahogany-oakbark type colour. The best and my favourite part is that it is mono crown with a chic Arama's logo stamped on the crown.
If one could ditch the teddy bear and take a bridle to bed without looking ridiculous, I would!
It almost seemed a sin to put this on a horse.
Everyone knows horses dirty and stink-i-fy pretty well everything lying in their wake. Despite the perfume de equine being overly comforting to us horsian's, it just doesn't have the same effect on
normal people.
My only complaint about the bridle was the slightly larger than normal fit and the slidey-downy cheek piece keepers. Both sides the keeper that is adjustable is just a hair too large to hold the extra cheek strap snugly and slides down when I ride. Though, based on the advice of a fellow equestrian with slidey-downey keepers it was quickly remedied by using a braiding elastic looped around the cheek piece twice and keeper slid over top. Worked like a charm and bonus is, you can't even see it!
![]() |
| Excuse the dirt. It's been dusty.... |

It looks great on him!
ReplyDeleteVery nice bridle! It would match my saddle perfectly also....hmmmm ;)
ReplyDelete