Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Blog Hop; HGBH: Everyday Tack
Stephanie over at Hand Gallop, created a new blog hop, of which I am really excited about since I haven't 'hopped' in way... too long and I love talking and hearing about tack.
Even if I am forbidden to crack out my cheque book on more horsey items, it doesn't mean I cannot window shop and share in the delight of others buying the things I only can admire!
Stephanie says, 'So, tell me: what’s your every day tack setup look like? Do you have some things you especially love? Wish you could replace?'
Let us begin, hooves first then up!
Hooves - Paloma's hooves remain 'a la nude' nowadays, unless we are trailering or hacking out in the uneven fields. I used to school with basic rubber velcro bell boots but she has finally got her cahoona's together and figured out how to function without stepping on her own feet.
Legs - Living in the H/J world most my life, I used to swear by open fronts and ankle boots but ankle boots refuse to stay put on Paloma's hind legs despite the brand/size and I recently realized that open fronts just don't provide the protection I want. Thus, hind legs are nude and fronts sport my absolute favorite brushing boots, the Nunn Finer 4-strap's in black.
I cannot get enough of these boots as you may have noticed in my review of them a few months ago. They are still going strong and looking brand new despite the torture I have put them through in the last six months. Did I mention that they simply hose off and are left clean with a mild dip in horse shampoo? Bonus!
Moving up....
Girth - After too many attempts to find the perfect girth, we settled on the basic 50" Lettia Coolmax fleece girth. No girth gals, no rubs, happy horse, happy owner.
Saddle padding - One of my rainbow of basic square pads for schooling. Only briefly abandoning my obsession with a plain white Coolmax shaped pad for showing H/J.
We did attempt a fabulous sheepskin half pad for awhile but this proved too bulky and Paloma began to tune out my seat aids and didn't move as freely. Thus, it found itself in the horseware recycle bin, Kijiji. (Canadian equivalent to Craigslist).
Saddle - My beloved newish Bates! No matter what I do, I cannot move away from the 'quick' change gullet system. While I rarely find myself changing it and it is certainly not quick, knowing I have options makes me feel less stressed about future changes in Paloma's musculature. A common fear for those who buy horses young I find. Not to mention, this saddle is great for flatwork and over fences without preference. This is a hard feat for me and saddles!
Bridle - My new Arama's plain raised monocrown snaffle with a basic loose ring bit with copper oval. Mmm copper!
That's it, that is all!
I know I am scarcely boring. I am a unrelentingly plain and traditional eventing dabbling H/J rider except I don't follow the fashion trend of adding a martingale when it is not needed.
Labels:
Blog Hop's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

i use the same girth and saddle type (and LOVE my bates saddles, omg love). and definitely nothing to argue with a simple and effective setup!
ReplyDelete