Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Finding the Perfect Blend; Stretch
























If you think this is stretch, you ain't seen nothin'









Whether it is coincidence or actually a result of some sort of correct riding on my part,(I know, what!), I honestly don’t know how some rides are chock full of stretch and others no so much.
While I am trying to trace connections, observe, feel and make good judgment calls, I have to admit it is tough to find the perfect blend and balance of each ingredient in the ‘proper equitation recipe’.

 

After a, however sort, bareback ride the day prior Paloma always wants a day of stretch the following day. Whatever it is that I/we do in these bareback rides, which usually end up being quick and simple due to my screaming muscles, it seems to stir something in Pal. She becomes uber soft and round, though, not likely having anything to do with me actually riding the correctly but more likely because of my gripping… err I mean firm and secure leg and my ‘don’t want to slide off’ tight core. Ha.

 

Sunday Mich and I played at bareback. It was hot and insanely muggy before 10AM and I was sweating bullets scrubbing the sweat caked mud off Pal. Have you ever tried to curry damp mud? It is impossible.

Anyways, after my scrub fest, we half tacked and jumped on bareback. I had the chance to try out a fellow boarders bareback pad, which is utterly blissful and couch worthy by the by.

Our ride involved lots of work in the walk, which we really need but more on that later. A simple w/t/c followed before we were all dripping in sweat. Aren’t we smexy in our tight pants and sweat soaked cami’s! One word, SWASS.

 

 

Today was the first ride following our bareback festivities and it was lovely! But I mentally struggled with determining the proper blend.
Much like finding the best ratio of chips to butter and flour for the World’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookie, I found myself attempting to decide what the best ratio of stretch is.

It is not news worthy that Paloma LOVES her stretch time and has idle dreams of the HUS world. But like chocolate chips, is there such thing as too much stretch? Hmm… I just don’t know.

 

I do make sure the stretch I am given is a proper balanced stretch and I do make use of that stretch by moving forward and back, practicing half halts; seat only, bending deeper on one side and back to really work out any tension and tightness, although there comes a point where all Paloma wants to do is this. Stretch down and work. I should be happy, yeah? 

It sounds wonderful and it is but not all things can be worked on in a deep stretch and despite that stretching is rewarded in certain points of a dressage test, it is not how everything can be ridden. Despite what Paloma may believe.

 

Typically, after a slightly more strenuous exercise, if Pal asks to stretch, I allow her. I make her continue work, but I let it happen if she remains balanced.

Pal is smart and knows this and often gets to a point where she will pull down and out with more force if I don’t oblige immediately when she asks. Who is riding who here?

 

 

So where do I find the balancing point? Is there such a thing as too much chocolate chippits in the World's Best Chocolate chip cookie?

 

1 comment:

  1. haha the 'balanced stretch' is not totally something i can achieve at this point - more like she can get way down on her forehand... but i allow it bc i'm more worried about her back at present than her front end.

    ReplyDelete