Sunday, July 19, 2015

Filling in the Silence with Bonnets.





Most days my work is pretty steady, well.. on average anyways. Though, in actuality it goes in spurts.

One moment it seems everyone in the world is coming to the office or calling wanting something from us, the next I am staring at the ceiling attempting to be sure I do not lose my place in my attempt to count all the speckles in the ceiling tiles.

And no, I have yet to figure out how many are in each tile… it is hard, like seriously difficult!


Thursday, I finished my tasks for the day, cleaned up my emails then jumped into my tasks for the next two days since last week was my ‘free Friday’. When I finished those and no one else had anything on their plate, I tidied my desk, stared utterly shocked at the at the number of paper coffee cups stacked in my recycling… (they were rinsed I swear), I will take them home to recycle next week. No, my work does not recycle! ….despite my ramblings that every one recycled pop can generate enough power to light a single bulb for an hour. Get that!

Enough rambling… after everything possible was said, thought of and done, I glanced at my crochet bag… Hmm… and then I realized, I hadn't made a bonnet copying my other store bought bonnet yet. Off I went.

So, I spent the next four hours crocheting and experimenting.


No matter which actual pattern I have attempted, none of them work out for me.

My first attempt at following a pattern ended up in a bonnet the size of my torso. Upon holding it up to myself, thinking it was just maybe slightly too big, I realized that it looked like I was making some sort of raunchy negligĂ©e, with the ear parts falling in just the right spot for, eckham,  certain lady bits.

Moving on.


Thursday, I copied my first bonnet that I ever had. It is a bit ratty and a bit faded but it was my first bonnet. I will cherish it always. Plus, whoever made it had the fantastic idea of applying Velcro to clip over the crown. No need for string ties! Smart thinking… though I don’t have any Velcro.


This is what I came up with! Feast your eyes on this baby.

Well, it is no USG bonnet but it is pretty classy if I can say so myself. Now, I need to stitch some ears!



Finished product!



5 comments:

  1. nice - i love the color!! i want so badly to try making a bonnet - but maybe i should learn to crochet first haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Carly! I loved it too, I was surprised!

      Delete
  3. Yay for making bonnets! My mom has made some for me and now I sell her pattern on my Etsy store; making ear bonnets is a semi-popular pasttime it seems!

    ReplyDelete