Sorry y'all forgot to hit 'publish' on Friday... better late than never!
Last night I broke my habit of 5AM rides, I have been just too exhausted, mostly mentally I think to get up for that unnatural hour. Not to mention the time constraints for my morning rides only lend enough time for flatting, for the most part.
Paloma seemed pretty shocked at the break in the routine and decided to act out by being slightly spooky. Birds and dog poop, OH MY!
I did what I could to get her brain on task. Transitioning up and down, in and out of lateral work, changes of bend, all in quick succession. For the most part it did work but I knew she was still out of whack likely since fresh 'dinner' hay bales were being tossed out. Boss mare must have pick of the hay bales you know...
It still shocks me that he best strategy to get Paloma's attention is a little bump on the rein. It is no more pressure than a regular steady rein but it seems the sudden release and take up of the rein is just the trick to snap her mind back on track. "Oh, right, work time.."
I swear she was not started when we met each other... let alone western pleasure! *sigh*
I used the extra time I had, bonus because Thursday's are "wifey-does-not-cook-day, so go eat toast", and I set up a small gymnastic with the couple jump cups we have purchased since the strike of the thief.
The gym was simple and low but my intensions were more to steady Paloma's stride on uneven, hilly terrain, attention to corners (both in and out), work on proper trot fences (no lurching), and lastly so I can work on keeping centered over the saddle rather than perching in my hunter-esque way.
After our flat warm up and continuing to deal with Paloma's mild but random spook attacks over the ground nesting bird squawking we moved on to the gymnastic.
First, I kept all elements as cross rails just to be sure I had Pal's attention on the change in subject. Cross rails proved uneventful and boring. Until the barn dog decided to leave us a present amidst the gym line. That got her attention!
I get that manure piles are chock full of information on fellow horses and often warrant several 'stop and smell the roses' moments, I get it. But what is so different about 'dog manure' that instantly makes the 'leavings' so terrifying and spookafying? *Shakes head* I will never know!
Good news is, we got through that spook in one piece and still completed the line with minor flailing.
Afterwards, I bumped up the last rail to a 2'6 oxer.
I felt Pal give this a bit more attention and effort. Seeing as the gym, tracking right is on the downhill of the ring the 3-stride to one stride and larger fence made her back off and sit a bit more than the small fences had. This was the intention since I found the downhill portions of the cross left me half halting with prayer's for affect while Pal dumped on the forehand.
Tracking left, we were entering with the square oxer.
I continued with trot in since this would again, make Pal sit and thrust and since the distance was set at 18ft, it would ask her to open up a bit to make the one stride with the added difficulty of now travelling uphill.
We all know how much Pal likes opening up from behind rather than dumping on the forehand and pulling.
Overall, we had a great jump school. I again, have to focus more on me and less on Paloma doing her job. Allow me to point out to myself that again, this is why I set the fences low for this... I never listen...
Pal did feel a bit strong but I think this is just due to the fact that she is starting to push more back to front and is thrusting over fences rather than dumping and stumbling.
On the health front....
Paloma's facial obtrusion is slowing easing it's way out. *knock on wood*. The week of meds seemed to clear up the infection and she is now back to eating just fine and will allow you to touch it without qualms. Every day on my way to the barn I pray to see it on the mend. Keep those fingers crossed!
By the way, word of the wise, do not Google anything. You will leave yourself in tears. Trust me.

love that gymnastic! sounds like a pretty good ride ;)
ReplyDeleteGoogle is AWFUL when something is wrong with you, your horse or your dog. Just don't do it.
ReplyDelete