Friday, March 11, 2016

Oh Bit Where Art Thou.


How did you find your horses 'it' bit? 
Are their reactions so diverse that you just know that this one or that one is wrong or right?
The toughest part about bit searching is that at $40-70 bucks a pop and a zero tolerance return policy when there the smallest of scuffs indicating that the bit met a mouth, the search becomes expensive and kind of exhausting. There are not many indicators to look for other than theory and reactions.
Those blessed blogger's who have access to a 'bit bank', I truly envy thee.


So why am I looking for a different bit?
It is kind of complicated. Paloma... began as a tricky horse to bridle. She doesn't like face touching... (hmm like momma like pony),  so in refusal to be bitted she used to take off backward with her face a mile high. Very frustrating.
I tried many bits. Rubber snaffles, D-rings, full cheeks, full cheeks with copper rollers, happy mouths, French links... no dice.
Until someone suggested a plain snaffle with the fat copper peanut in the middle. That did the trick.

Paloma loved the peanut but always wanted to play with the bit. It was an egg butt and so it didn't have much play. When she chewed, she stayed softer.
I then purchased a bit with the same thick mouthpiece but loose ring cheek pieces. She liked this one buuttt... out on trail rides alone or on cross she refuses to listen and bursts through my hands like a a runaway freight train.

Then a friend of mine recently purchased a Baucher, same thing, as a trial but unable to return it she kept it.
Bit bank! I kindly asked to borrow it for a ride, thinking it may give me slightly more leverage...
Yeah, no. Paloma, not so politely announced, 'No copper, no ridey.'
Baucher.

Scratching my head, I thought what is slightly more 'bit' but still copper and soft when she is in her 'normal' moods? Thinner mouth piece?
Then I recalled, 'hey, I think I saw a bit on my hook that was thinner...'

I honestly have no idea where this bit turned up. I used to leave my own bit 'failures' at the barn for someone to use if they needed to, did someone do the same? Meh... it has been sitting on my bridle hook for at least half a year, so I figured to give it a shot.
The bit is the same as my current loose ring with the oval peanut but a full copper mouth piece and the oval is rotated 90*. Different function? Who knows...horse will tell.


My initial ride and only ride in it so far, Paloma seems to be head over heels with this bit.
Though, it would not be so obvious unless I was really looking for something.
Pal was much more receptive of contact with this bit. The instant I applied a small amount of pressure to practice some flexions, she gave, softly who no tension in the jaw.
She also gently mouthed this bit more which really seemed to aid in avoiding the 'lock jaw' moments she typically pulls out.
I have yet to have experience in figuring out if this bit will help the 'braking issue' on cross but just by judging how sensitive she was to my hand signals, I think it will be a good fit!


What is your bit? How did you know?





4 comments:

  1. I still don't know...right now she's going in a loose ring french link and depending on the day she can either lean on it or be highly offended by the lightest touch. I've tried a regular eggbutt snaffle, a happy mouth mullen mouth, a full cheek and a D ring snaffle with the copper rollers. Loose ring seems to make her happy...the rest I'm still unsure about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobby is very clear when he hates a bit, so I just kept cycling through them (my old BO was happy to share her vast collection while I searched) until he settled on a french link happy mouth hunter dee. He went in that for years until he decided it was no longer for him (who knows why), and Trainer said he seemed like a horse that wanted steel in his mouth, and her favorite bit is a plain eggbutt. So that's what I switched him to and he goes really, really well in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ride bitless, my horse can't stand bits, and it's basically trial and error until I find one that he's easy going in and seems to enjoy and works best in. I use a little S hack currently, and it's working well but I'm not 100% set on it. Whatever my horse likes and isn't just terribly harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are a few places that do bit trials? SmartPak also will let you return them if you clean them up :)

    ReplyDelete