Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Yoga for Horses; Flexions.
As we all know Paloma has some tension issues. She uses tension as an evasion/way to show her disagreement with what I am asking of her.
In true Paloma fashion, in order to curb the tension I have to make her think the outcome was her idea not in response to anything I have requested.
Initially, the tension begins in her jaw. Paloma will set her jaw, pull against me with the underside of her neck which in turn creates a hollow in her back. Ie. She sets the blender on chop.
I have struggled with disengaging this for a couple years now.
The uber dressage coach I sporadically lesson with offered a few solutions... they worked in a very temporary sense. But worked more to annoy Paloma even more so the ride will continue with tension and blender-like motions.
I cannot blame Paloma though. The quick lift and drop of the outside rein would not feel very welcoming to me either, nor would the two legged cowboy kick make me more willing to give.
The phrase 'different strokes for different folks' comes to mind when I attempt to explain Paloma.
As a riding horse she is very willing.. for a mare, extraordinarily smart but easy to bore and subtle about her unhappiness. I am starting to learn that in order to succeed with her, you need to be quiet, easy going, attentive and welcoming. Things that are not innate to me, though I am trying.
So when I posted on COTH asking in desperation for help with the tension issues, I got a few exceptional responses that spoke wonders for Paloma and I, especially considering how simple these exercises are!
Our Problem:
I can get forward and supple, see tier two on the training scale above. But we have a hard time maintaining forward, supple and connection. Paloma locks down as I shorten the frame.
Our Answer:
Flexions, flexions and more flexions. Then when you think you have done enough, more flexions.
Our New Exercise Regime:
Upon backing, I let my legs hang without stirrups to stretch myself out and get Paloma marching on. For whatever reason, she presents less tension when I start my ride this way.
I quietly and slowly, with a long rein, ask her to bend her neck to the inside about 30 degrees. I found placing my hand on the pommel of my saddle to help me with creating a barrier for Paloma to soften to. If I don't I find it hard to stop the rein tension instantly when she gives.
Walk three or four strides this way. Slowly ask Pal to straighten, relax three or four strides in the walk.
Ask for the same thing to the outside, keeping slightly off the track. Nose to wall bonking is not welcoming in my opinion :P.
I continue this for a lap or two and then begin doing this exercise while doing a 20m circle, then a 10m figure eight. Cycling through bent inside, straight, bent outside.
The I toughen it up. Pick up stirrups. Halt while flexed, walk on while flexed, trot, rein back etc. I find this VERY suppling because much of her tension presents during transitions.
Getting even tougher. I will halt flexed one direction, straighten and do turn on the haunches away from my inside leg so what was the outside leg is now the inside leg and is now weighted. Step off in walk, trot or canter immediately.
I have been told you can do the carrot flexions or stretches but Paloma isn't interested enough to listen while you are merely on the ground so it doesn't work for me.
After about fifteen-twenty minutes working on the above, (I have been told this will shorten as she becomes softer and more accepting), I don't find it to be of ANY effort to ask Paloma to bend, go forward or stay soft, transition, whatever. She is just there... in my hands all of a sudden!
I even found ourselves doing halt-canter-halt's without effort and found much less resistance in her neck and back when working on shoulder-fore/in's and half pass.
Hallelujah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for posting this! Sorry I didn't comment at the time I saved it so I could do a thorough and undistracted reading of it :)
ReplyDelete