Many apologies for my dead silence. I have been uber busy
and have been having zero motivation for anything to so with technology. Think
hermit. That is more or less what I have been striving for lately, lol.
In the past few weeks I have had some pretty awesome rides.
Paloma and I even attended a Greg Kuti clinic.
Pal stole the show with her looks, lovely trot and temperament.
Greg even flat out admitted that I would have zero problems taking Paloma to intermediare.
:O That was pretty shocking.
Greg was probably the best coach I have ever had the
pleasure of learning from and I felt that he was uber refreshing. There are not
many times anymore when you come across someone talented who is truly excited
to teach and just flatly be around horses.
Though, saying that he was an intense teacher would be an
understatement!
Mich and I signed up for the 2’9/3’ division, though the
majority of our fences did not exceed 2’6.
Greg was very watchful at first and was quick to pinpoint
why I am likely thinking that Paloma is lazy. While he said she isn’t a ‘fire
cracker, she is an easy ride and wants to please’. Then he suggested that the
reason she feels lopey is because she is quick to lengthen her front end
because it comes naturally to her and is easier than rocking back and thrusting
from her haunches. *ding, ding ding*…. And why did I never think of
this!? He is the first one to ever make this comment.
His fix-it suggestion was to keep my reins short-short and
raise my hands up a bit. He stated that in doing so I am forcing Paloma’s
energy to hit a wall, my hands, and recycle the energy back. Then the only
place she can answer my request is from behind.
The hands higher also enabled my entire body to ‘fall’ into
a natural position and strengthen my core. Giving me a solid seat and contact.
Instantly melting Paloma’s tension. *Forehead whack*
After a quick succession warm up, Greg had us sit the trot.
Ugh.
This is one area that Paloma tenses…. Because I get tense
trying not to bounce. His cure… instead of letting her bounce you out of the
tack, bounce yourself and catch with your core. Almost like posting with your
body instead of legs. Except your butt is glued to the saddle.
This seemed to help considerably and when I would begin to
feel Pal tense, I would accentuate my ‘bounce’. It is hard to explain but for whatever
reason the dynamics worked well.
Moving on to jumping. We warmed up with simple steep X’s,
six strides to small vertical. Greg watching how we ride it.
Greg pointed out that I tend to ride Paloma to the first
fence in the line and then let her take over. Instead I need to quite the pace
into the line, making Pal use her haunches instead of momentum and after the first
fence, keep my hands up, reins short and make her wait a bit longer to
encourage a rounder jump. Pal was pretty confused at first and I found it
difficult to not release my hands forward and give her her neck between the
jumps but it absolutely made all the difference when we caught on.
We quickly moved on to a simple hunter type eight fence
course. We were even met with some pretty freaky looking grassy poles and
grassy hill looking roll tops. While I mentally quivered, but physically said ‘let’s
go’, Pal didn’t blink, though I know I felt her tuck her belly a bit more than
usual, haha.
Overall, I was very proud of her. She may not have the
quickness I want, she is certainly grown into a reliable hunter.
Note: I finally connected the dots as to why cross fences
feel so great with Paloma. Since my inner chicken bawks, I sit up, shorten my
reins, and leg on which equals what ???
= everything Greg said I should be doing.
On the opposite front. With a heavy heart I have listed Paloma
for sale…
While I refuse to sell my dear Pally unless the match is
perfect. I think she would be an excellent low-mid dressage mount for those who
know what they are doing or a uber chill hunter packer.
Aww I am sad you are selling her but she sounds like a wonderful horse and I'm sure you'll find her an awesome home!
ReplyDeleteMe too. I rode this morning, had one of those 'click' rides. I thought to myself, 'why am I considering this again?'
DeleteBut overall, i think it would be the right decision.
I did have someone out to try her this week, she was fabulous. Exactly what Pal needs. Here is to hoping it works out!
I think this is my first time coming across this blog, but I did some trawling through your old posts a very tiny bit. Sorry to hear you're listing her for sale! What inspired that decision? Was it the house? Will you still ride? What would you replace her with? I have so many questions lol
ReplyDeleteHi! Welcome. Apologies for no pictures as of late. My computer will not upload them. GRR.
DeleteWell, Paloma is perfect. Except she is a push ride unles you have long enveloping legs to lift her barrel rather than squeese, sadly not a trait I have. This can be overcome on the flat, between jumps it is hard.
While the house build and never ending reno's did take away from my show schedule and free cash to spend on bigger shows, I dont think it affected my riding as a whole.
Absolutely. I am hoping to look at OTTB's or something of the like with a built in engine and keen to the fences.
Ask away. I love yapping lol.
October was a tough month for many of us -- glad to hear your back tho, and that you had a wonderful clinic! What's meant to be for you and Pal will come to pass, I know it. <3 <3 <3
ReplyDeleteAww, transitions are hard. Here's hoping for a smooth process and future perfect matches for the both of you :)
ReplyDeleteThank you T! I appreciate that!
Delete