![]() |
| A little cute face to start your morning. |
He has yet to arrive, come on Saturday!, but he has already hit to center stage. Lol.
Today, I wanted to give a bit more details as far as his training and my plans for him in the near future. I am hoping, like with Paloma, this blog will be a time piece for reflection as well as sharing my experiences.
At this current time Solo is rising three and not yet backed. He has had quite a good foundation laid as far as no exceptions, good manners, lunging, voice aids and had worn a very bulky western saddle for the sense of desensitizing. If he can wear a heavy western saddle with flapping giant stirrups, I feel like he is almost ready.
However, as easy as Pal was to back, I am not going to get overly confident and cut corners. I have rather decided to build upon the informal ground work I did with Pal and go with a more formal approach.
While I was making a mental tally of the steps and questions I am going to ask him I couldn't help but notice the western taste that has crept into my ideals. (Say what!)
A quarter horse and western style ground work... Yikes! But no I am refusing to go to the dark side but I still appreciate all the work many good western horseman put into their horses.
My overall goal by the end of this, is a very broke thinker type of horse who will think and investigate first and baulk and refuse last ... Or never is my hope. I can dream!
Condensing this post. Keeping in mind Solo was just gelded on Monday and he will need another week and a bit to heal up fully, I plan to keep things simple over the next two weeks with lots of work on the mind. Ie desensitizing and sensitizing and laying out my boss mare status.
I am thinking this will be simpler than it was with Pal, partly because of his already prominent foundation and his brain seems to be more right sided compared to Pal's left introvert brain.
A thinker over a dreamer lol.
A major inspiration for my ground work has been Clinton Anderson if anyone is curious what my ideas entail. He has a great YouTube series with a palomino mare if anyone is bored at work.. I mean at home, because we all work when we are at work.

How exciting!
ReplyDeleteCongrats - he looks lovely :)
ReplyDeleteThank you T!
DeleteIiiinteresting! Congrats on the relatively quick sale of your mare and I can't wait for photos of this new fellow!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I am just lucky to find someone as great as I did. Keep posted! The excitement will keep me coming to brag.. er share.
DeleteAdorable baby Solo!! And I also love CA's ground work. I don't drink the coolaid, meaning I don't worship him, but I do like alot of his fundamentals!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear more!
I'm so excited to follow along -- I'm learning a lot about groundwork and how valuable it is
ReplyDelete