![]() |
| Weanling Solo on show grounds after winning Grand Champion stallion. |
This week was the official nine-monthiverysary since Solo arrived. A new name, a new mom, new food, a totally different life.
I find it sort of ironic that while I really don't want humans babies, I tend to gravitate to horse babies. I often question myself of why I do it. It was really nice have a sort of 'made' horse at the end before I sold Paloma. Mind you it took a lot of wins and fails to get there. I dread the fails and the falls, ugh. Inevitable but let's say it won't happen k?
Though, I feel the pressure to make the actual kids decision soon, I can't help but not want any but also wonder if I will regret it later. Plus, Solo is my now baby and he needs a full time mom. Double ugh.
Anyways, life crisis decisions aside. Sometimes I forget how old Solo is. Yeah, I am reminded every day I am at the barn and find a new muscle, or suddenly notice he looks skinny and has shot up another 1\2 inch and rides like a roadster with big honkin rear tires, all face in the dirt like. My game mode and all equating seriousness often takes over, despite keeping all basic thus far sometimes I can't help but get disappointed momentarily when he regresses slightly one ride or just cannot function. I laugh now.
![]() |
| Nap time after a class at show away from home |
Yesterday mornings ride was all mug, zero air movement and little sun, mix of dog days off summer and winter around the corner. Triple ugh?!
I was able to ride outside, careful to monitor Solo's footing and limit canter. The combo of morning dew and sloping grass ring is the ideal recipe for slippage. Not to mention Solo just doesn't have the balance to be sure footed like Pal was from the get go. She was all balance from day one but a smaller mover, he just... Isn't. I tell myself that this means he will grow into his huge stride and reach. I hope.
Solo was losing his mind with the bugs and just wouldn't relax unless I let him run from them. Literally. I tried for some long and low, he was working that hind like crazy with the sloping ring but the relaxation stopped at the shoulder. My feeble attempt for a little softness were thwarted despite lateral attempts, spirals etc. However, he did have some killer soft and launching canter transitions... We won't mention I didn't ask for them. I took advantage of it when I felt him about to break going up the slope. 'Free' strength training? Yes please.
We kept it short, worked on changing directions through large circles, made trickier as he nipped and shook at flies but he has to learn life doesn't stop due to bugs. Unless your me and find a spider in the house....
I worked more on turning with just my body and leg, because bending was not happening today.
In the end I felt a bit disappointed, our rides have been crazy amazing lately. I was taking it for granted and forgetting how unbalanced and gangly teen he is. He just has so much heart!
I realized after my ride that it was our nine month anniversary. Smiley sigh.
Nine months ago....
- he didn't ride
- he was skinny skinny
- he had a horrible pedicure
- he would lose his canary if Anything went above his head or touched his ears
- he would also lose his mind if he couldn't see where you were, ie backing.
- he was however very well trained to lunge and voice commands
- he had great ground manners from the get go and ground tied, awesome.
- he also had some horrible reaction to penicillin given at his gelding which destroyed his GI tract.
- he chomped the bit.
- he was terribly! Tail swishy and sensitive to his flanks (not his fault)
- scrawny, 15hand 2.5 y/o
9 Months Later...
- his tummy trouble is starting to regulate. With a few off days here and there.
- while he still throws out teen boy tude, tail swishing virtually non existent. Likely the tummy trouble was not helping.
- no chomping!
- he rides! And is showing some crazy fancy, big movement.
- he trail rides bravely
- he yawns when I check in for spook with things above his head, things being rubbed between his legs, flags laying on his back or the dread plastic bag or simply a brush touching ears etc
- he has grown and gained quite a bit considering how much muscle bulk he has put on. Now, his barrel, haunches and shoulder are much less slab and more pronounced. He still stands a hair over 15.1h at the wither but is currently quite bum high at 15.3h. hoping this levels out soon so his back looks less wonk and he can focus on gaining another 50lbs before winter.
- his pedicure still needs more time but is ten fold better than before
- he is up to date of vet, teeth and worming etc.
- on the riding front, he has a pretty solid, mild mannered w/t/c. Very receptive to leg aids, shows a hulk of power in the haunches....just to activate it?!
- I am not sure I would trust a less experienced rider on him. At this age, Paloma was lead lining screaming toddlers with ears laid out flat. He is just a bit too sensitive in brain and body. A good thing, for me.
- he really doesn't have much spook especially for a baby. Yes, he gawks at the occasional object but normally it's a '...meh' glance and carry on.
I am sure the lists could carry on but looking back... This is all happening relatively quickly with really not a ton of effort from me, just an occasional lesson and the next day the brain connections are drawn and firing.
Oh how time flies.... They grow up so fast! *Reminiscing sigh*
Yes, babies can be risky, yes they can be a pita, yes you have to be on guard, always. But THIS is why I do babies.
....(Did I mention I just simply could not afford a made horse of the same quality. Haha)



Same boat as you, have to keep making up my own because can't afford them already made.
ReplyDeleteUgh you get true bruises too eh lol. Agreed and can't afford to keep the made ones!
DeleteIts hard when they are such good babies because you forget how they really are just babies! Even with my 11 year old, he was off the track 2 years ago and had a year off, so hes mature but hes still super green. Have to keep it in mind. I love looking back because you can see so much progress that you don't see day to day.
ReplyDelete