![]() |
| Blurry video still while I oogle at our canter of the future |
Yesterday morning, I came out to the barn and found Solo at the gate rather than in the back forty. While those who don't know him would never know but he isn't a fan of storms. And this past couple days have been chock full of torrential rain, thunderous cracks and tornado warnings. Lovely. But fair weather rider I am not.
I noticed Solo had a dribble of dirty bum, which, knock on wood, has been clear for weeks. Key indicator of his nerves and/or food changes, though likely nerves here.
He was immediately on a mission for breakfast. Something I need to be consious of so he doesn't become pushy. I made him wait for his bucket, he ate half before stopping and having some usual stretch fests. Reaching to the ceiling with his nose and hollowing his back. Pal used to have some totally freaky stretches too but these I had only seen him do once before so, worry wart me, well... Got worrying.
He had a couple good tummy rumbles and then went back to quietly eating.
Talk about odd.
Solo seemed fine there after so I tacked up and decided on an easy day, I get it horses have 'sick' days too.
I had already set a pole exercise, pole 11ft to "ditch" ie. two poles spaced slightly with a grain bag in between, 11ft to pole. This was meant to serve several purposes, stretching down over poles, hoof awareness, defeating another 'monster', balance etc.
I gave Solo a good walk warm up, taking notes to be sure he wasn't feeling awful but with my experience little tummy troubles are best served by light work outs. He was slightly sluggish but not unhappy, uncomfortable or touchy like he was when we were dealing with the ulcers caused by gelding meds. Ugh.
Anyhow. I gave him lots of stretching time, went over the poles, he had a good look at the "ditch", I let him. He is just insecure rather than afraid or stubborn so I can't push his baby brain. He learned rather quickly he wasn't turning away from it so easier to go over and be gone. Problem solved today.
We worked lightly in both directions w/t/c. He still was sticky in the trot but the canter improved things greatly and he was much happier and more of his normal forward self afterwards.
TMI but his dirty gas also turned clean and dry by the end. Plus he was even attempting to be a mischievous teen as I tidied up and let him walk himself around the arena.
I assume the weather causes him not to eat steadily, get a bit nervous, which in turn means less saliva production therefore less saliva to regulate acid pH levels, all = healing gut bacteria has a short bought of upset.
For him, I think the exercise is necessary but it never the less makes me feel bad.
Yes, I ride no matter how sick I am.. honestly, yet it is however my choice.
What is your POV? At what point do you call off work if you get an inckling that horsey just doesn't feel right? (Actual pain excluded mind you)

I always check their temp first. If it's normal I don't worry too much. Then check the heart rate. Elevated heart rate can be an indication of colic. If I'm at all worried I take them for a hand walk and see if they eat grass or carrots. If they do I don't worry. If they don't then I might wait it out a bit longer. It's a full moon so choking is more common. Sounds like he might have had something caught there and the stretched helped it out.
ReplyDeleteThat is really interesting about the full moon! His grain wasn't wet and he is prone to gobbling!
DeleteThank you for the tips!! Very valuable!