Monday, March 2, 2015
How to Snow Frolic.
Saturday the temperatures started to warm up and the sun broke through the clouds. Hallelujah!
I waited until the afternoon to head to the barn since I had to wait in line at the Transportation office for an hour in that morning. Such a lovely birthday present, right?
"Happy birthday, that will be $200 please."
Arriving at the barn, I was sadly all alone. I really wanted to set a jump school but reconsidered after seeing how dusty the arena was, again cursing the weeks past uber low temps. I opted to head out in the 'snow ring' for a deep snow muscle busting pony work out.
Pony-kins sure does need to lose a couple pounds.
The snow was Deep! Up to and past Paloma's knees in some parts so snow conditioning was more or less out since all that could be done was snow frolic. I don't think this can be classified as riding let alone good riding but it was a blast.
Paloma lept and pranced through the snow as though she was going through a constant stream of bounce fences, I bobbled along, laughing my butt off and attempting to stay on the top side of the horse. Note: this can be really tricky while experiencing the motion of deep snow frolicking.
Thank goodness no one else decided to ride at this time, my sheer lack of correct riding was pretty despicable. But the fun was well needed! Sometimes it is nice to just play with your horse rather than school.
So to all you fellow snow-riders, here is how to Snow Frolic.
1. Grab dear ponykin's and tack up.
2. Leap and flail onto pony's back after you forget a mounting block and sink butt deep into what you thought was a hard, 'mounting block approved' snow bank.
3. Hope that look in ponykin's eye isn't any indication of what the ride to come has in store and fumble for the stirrups with snow clad boots.
4. Sigh in relief that you are, indeed, not too old for basic gymnastics but knowing that is probably going to hurt tomorrow.
5. Venture on into the great white yonder.
6. Reminisce about the first time you drove a manual car while your horse bounces to and fro in attempt to find 'four-hoof-low' gear.
7. Do a quick recon of the area to make sure no one is watching this mockery of equitation.
8. Again sigh in relief and pray for someone to invent saddle seat belts like yesterday.
9. Laugh uncontrollably... because no one like tear-sicles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment