"Do not demand at the end of the lesson what the horse cannot do easily and happily yet! Always finish the lesson with something the horse is able to do easily and that he will thus perform happily, so that there is cause for praise and display of affection."
Peter Spohr
![]() |
We all know I despise Mondays. I have attempted to come up with something to look forward to on Monday's but other than poutine and fried things, which are not healthy alternatives, I can't think of anything other than going for ride. Yesterday, even riding was questionable as a Monday pick me up.
I got to the barn a little later than normal and it was a chilly -7*c. (Honestly will this winter never end...). I arrived to find dear Palomis peaking out the stall and covered in dried mud from face to wither. Ugh.
Being a bit short on time, I curried with all my might and before I knew it, I could see white, well white-ish again.
I had set up a simple, or so I thought, cross rail- one stride - 2'6/2'9 square oxer. Aiming to work on our form and my posture over fences.
After a quick 15-20 minute warm up, we jumped into the line on a circle over the x as a warm up. Having no problems and thinking this gym was a simple one we gathered our canter and headed into the line. I felt... not a wobble per say but almost a weariness emanating from Pal but I also felt her lock on and take me into the line so I braced down into my seat and added a bit of leg as a precaution.
Am I ever glad I did....
For whatever reason, Paloma thought it was a better idea to make the one stride into a bounce and she took a flyer over the oxer. How I stayed put I am not sure but my body kicked in to my hidden eventer mode. Or maybe it was survival instinct, I can't be sure.
Thinking it was a fluke, we garnered up our lady bits again and headed for another shot. Foreseeing the possibility of this happening again, I half halted to say, 'take a stride' in there.
Nope. It happened again and I... again, did some semblance of eventer drop ditch posture thing.
Alright.
We went back to flatting, worked on some transitions, checked our half halt. Everything is still in place...
I gave Pal a break. Then after we circled into the 'X' again with pats to get her confidence back up and headed back. This time Pal was so transfixed on the oxer, she completely plowed into the 'X', finally seeing it but too late.
![]() |
| Yuaapp... I feel your pain fellow rider... Glad to see it has happened to others. |
Luckily the poles just fell flat, so I came again and just used what was the 'X' as placing poles. I took every precaution and rode defensively but aggressively. No problems. Pal cantered over the poles and jumped the oxer with great power and scope. Actually, it felt much nicer than normal. It was lovely.
Came through once again, same thing, no problem. And I made a big deal of it to boost her confidence.
We attempted to change directions, leaving the poles for the 'X' down but Pal wasn't having any of it. The distance from the other end is shorter but doable and nothing new to her. Pal locked on, picked her spot, I felt everything in place, added leg just in case, annnnddd.... she SLAMMED into the brakes. This does not happen with Pal. She just doesn't stop if I ride correctly.... I was shocked.
Honestly, wide-mouth-gaping shocked!
Somewhere deep down, a little voice was telling me that she scared herself doing the 'bounces', so don't punish, growl to get over, yes, but don't punish.
We came again but she broke to trot. I let her. I stayed quiet and she jumped the oxer from a trot and cantered away calmly. We came again in trot once more to make sure it was not a fluke and to let her know, 'ok, I hear you. Let's just trot this today'.
Overall... OK so we took five steps back and only two forward but I feel we re-established the trust and understanding Pal and I share.
Yeah, I was pretty upset about the ride but having slept on it and looking back now I realize... aren't all strong relationships built not just on the great moments but also on overcoming the bad?


Sounds like she knew what to do...usually the best idea to go down a gate when issues prop up like this - or make the line clearer for her by pulling it out a foot or two to make the one stride easier. Another thing to help is to add a canter pole to show the place for the stride. Hope your next ride is better for you!
ReplyDeletePerfect suggestion and it worked like a charm! Thank you.
DeleteTuesday, I set the same exercise with different coloured poles (dark red, versus yellow), and a little longer striding. Longer than ideal but understandable for a horse that gets long and flat. Started as trot in... no problems. Went back cantered through twice to check... perfect hunter pace not even a hiccup. Big pats for brave pony.