Friday I headed to the barn to meet Mish-mosh for a ride. After arriving, grooming and remarking at how much more hair we were wearing than the horses we headed into the freshly harrowed arena.
There is nothing like fresh powder...
Despite Mish and I having two very different horses we have both of them working at the same level so this makes coordinating the day's routine very easy.
Today, we decided it was time to loosen the ponies up with a set-up of five fanning trot poles and lateral work. One would assume bending through a set of poles would be easy... right.
Both horses had their own issue, both different as per usual. And yes, I checked the spacing several times so it was merely the difficulty with coordinating the poles, bending and the importance of staying centered.
Thunder thought it was fun to step on a pole here or there, Paloma came up with the bright idea to step high and prancy rather than reaching out. So this made for a little hop-skip over the last pole.
After working out our own kinks we both came back to a loose walk for a break and began recapping the issues we were having for the day.
I think this is partially why we both like riding together, having a sounding board that understands and can rationally comment, sorry hubby, is invaluable!
Mish and I are pretty well the same rider but from different disciplines and backgrounds but despite our similarities our horses are from completely different spectrum's when it comes to riding and working with them.
This sparked up another conversation and inspired this post.
If you had thirty seconds to explain to someone how to ride your horse, effectively, how would it go?
I don't think I would need thirty seconds...
Paloma's would go like this; inspire her brain, work with her not against, ask then tell, don't be a sissy, make it happen.

Uhh great question:
ReplyDeleteDon't let her bully you, circles and changes in direction are your friend, always add more leg, don't let her pull you forward, you need to kick more, no really even more forward.
um...hold on?? hahaha
ReplyDeleteHahaha. That's is funny.
Delete