Let me start off by thanking the weather god's for finally shedding some sunlight onto our dreary, frigid planet! The temperature's are starting to hit the pluses, and yes, I consider 0*c a plus temperature and I will gladly take it.
Saturday we had just way too many errands to run so pony-time didn't come until Sunday which was fine with me since Saturday was still a little chilly and Sunday included some welcome sunshine after a short snow shower.
First glance out in the paddock and I knew I was either in for some trouble or would be having a kick ride today. Paloma and her paddock buddies were running amok through the field's kicking and squealing away.
On approaching the paddock, Pal galloped up to the fence and showed off a precise sliding stop in greeting, hello appy blood.
Coming out of the gate, Pal decided to scoot past me and spook at the sheep, which by the way, are always there and hadn't moved a muscle. Then walking down the lane, she decided to have a cow kicking frenzy at the barn dog as he wizzed by us. This also happens all the time and she never cares...
Right about then I am thinking we have definitely landed on option A. *sigh*
In the barn, I was in a no BS mood and wrapped a chain around her nose in warning. This works like a charm. If Pal knows it is there, she cuts the doody quite quickly.
Sunday lessons ran late so we had a good groom fest and attempted to get a photo shoot with Pal and her new bonnet. No, I didn't buy it, I spent 10 hours crocheting this thing into equine perfection Friday and Saturday. This definitely secures my DH thoughts that I am truly a 98y/o soul in a twenty some odd body. Meh.
I started thinking about crocheting when I noticed a fellow blogger decided to tackle it herself. I figured... how hard can this be? Well, it isn't easy and is 110% a labour of love but once you have the motions memorized it is pretty simple. More or less like learning to drive a manual car.
This first attempt turned out pretty cute! I did try to use a pattern but quickly gave up after seeing the ten million different types of stitches incorporated. Nuh-uh. I have learned four, I use only four.
So off I went, using a purchased bonnet as a model. I opted not to crochet the ears but to use a stretchy light fabric for less heat retention.
The results....
Snazzy if I can say so myself.
Next time I will add a couple extra rows to make it a slight bit longer but I am pretty happy with the results. I foresee a large hat collection in dear pony's future.
She clearly was not impressed about all the standing around but I did manage to get a couple blurry snapshots for bragging today.
On an actual riding note, we had a pretty chill ride. Option B showed up and Paloma was a bit lazy but obliged and had some great work.


It looks good!
ReplyDelete