Thursday, March 26, 2015
Revisiting Ground Work - Gymnastic Lunging
Yesterday was a 'fun' day....
Something odd went on with the power in our area. With what started as power hiccups, (where electricity flicks off and then right back on), turned into rolling brown out's then full on power outages for eight hours.
While I don't love power outs, I don't usually complain either, things happen, I get it. But this one was weird.
The issues began mid-morning when the alarms for our UV water light and sump pump went off indicating power failure, the rest of the house flickered but came back on no problems. Then shortly after the furnace condensation pump kicked off, followed by the furnace itself. Lovely.
Immediatley I think, is this house cursing at us for selling in the only way a house can?
*Insert an unspoken curse word*
After DH having a bird, and me, the problem solver, calling around for two hours and dealing with some really crappy customer service to solve the 'problems' with the furnace and UV, which are thank goodness under warranty, we resolved to watching the HydroOne website for updates on the outage. This, by the way, is very difficult to do when you do not have data on your phone and you need power for the Wifi to work. Duh...
Four hours later, the power came back on and thank heaven, everything is working just perfectly.
So note to future self, everything in good time. Don't freak out. You don't have to solve everything in two point two. Not everything is in your control. Be patient.
Moving on...
After making a scrumpteous dinner of roast beef panini's on fresh crusty bread with carmelized onions and mushrooms, oh and cheese of course.... (can you tell it is almost lunch time?), I headed to the barn.
I had originally planned to ride and do some ground pole gymnastics, but I opted to lunge over poles instead. Giving Pal a little outlet for her willies, changing things up and giving her a chance to stretch and balance without a rider helping or restricting.
I took two poles and set them 10ft apart from each each, just off center of the arena, so they can be used for trot and canter, and then added two more right beside the original two to double up the length, making it easier for lunging.
I chose to use my bridle to lunge, removing the reins in case of a 'Pal tantrum', and I looped the lunge line through the side of the bit closet to me, (for that direction), up over her poll and clipped to the other loop of the bit. I don't see many people using this method anymore, everyone is all for cavesons or those things that connect the two sides of the bit under the horses chin. Does this mean I am old fashioned now....and *gulp* old....
To me I find this gives me optimum connection, control and I can still keep a feel of the bit through the lunge line. Regardless, Pal prefers this and it works. If it 'aint broke....
We worked on transitions and warming up and then I sent Pal over the trot poles. Initially, she couldn't figure out the poles without me up there dictating what she should do but she quickly and quietly figured them out in both trot and canter.
The poles worked exactly as I had planned and within a few minutes Pal was moving more freely from her shoulder and pushing from behind. It looked fabulous.
While I know I should be lunging and doing more groundwork rather than just riding, it is really nice to have the large gap in between the last time we did this as it becomes very evident that the work we have been doing together is actually working and transferring over to the horse using itself more correctly even without the assistance or instruction of the rider.
Much better end to a initially negative day.
Labels:
Training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like a productive end to a crummy day. I always lunge by clipping the line through the bit and over the head as well - I've seen some trainers and other people I respect still teaching it like that as well, so I think we're still 'cool' lol
ReplyDeleteGlad to know we are still 'cool'. I often question my 'cool' degree seeing all these kiddies now-a-days. I swear I am now that adult that always used to talk to me and say.... 'Back in my day, we didn't have... or do'... haha sadness. I still feel as young as ever, but with a lot more freedom.
Delete