Monday, May 25, 2015

Driving Reflection.


 

Do you ever find yourself lost in reflection on your commute home and suddenly look around and go.. "Uhh wha... how did I get here?"...

I am sure those of you who drive to work have found yourself lost in thought before snapping back to reality what seems like eons later wondering how the heck you got from point A to point B safely and without remembering your journey a time or two, no?


Well, for me, when I am driving to and from work on the same roads, at the same time and seemingly the same fellow commuters, of whom, you have mostly memorized their driving habits, ('Oh sh**, this damn red Pontiac again, DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT buddy!'), oops, back on track... I do my best thinking, planning and reflecting during these drives.


Yesterday, while driving home, I tuned into my 'zone' and started reflecting on when I first met Paloma. She was a leggy, pigheaded, oddly shapen two year old who couldn't figure out how to use her own feet and not stand on yours.
But then again, I did buy a two year old, I shouldn't have expected any less. To be honest, I am not sure what drove me to buy a young, unbroken filly other than that feeling where you just know that you were meant to cross paths. Not to mention many thanks to my sister for finding the 'wicked' coloured Warmblood cross on HorseClicks.

I shook my head while thinking about it. It almost feels as though I wasn't 'me' at that time. Like I was a different person, having different thoughts and making different decisions. Surely I wouldn't make the same choices now knowing all that I have learned but I am so glad I did make that choice back then, I couldn't ask for a better companion.
Yes, it has been a bit of a bumpy road along the way but this year Paloma grew up and it feels amazing. The confidence we both have in each other has grown leaps and bounds since we began venturing into different and more 'scary' things like trail riding, eventing, going to clinics and shows at places we have never been, etc.


Finally, at this last show, I took a moment to watch her and I couldn't believe my eyes.
Paloma was so chill! She barely spooked, other than the tent but even I questioned the darn thing so I don't blame her. She loaded straight on leaving HOME!, (coming home, never an issue, leaving home, takes a try or two), she stood tied to the trailer with a hay bag, no fury fits, little to no baying for other horses, no spooking in the different warm up rings, she even took a few naps!

Me - 'Did I grab the right horse this morning? Well, I still see spots....'


My reminiscing finally hit with a final, 'Wow, WE have grown up' *sniff*. 
And I realized the person I was then was still 'me', obviously I know, but I have just matured and grown in the way I think, make choices and act. Pal and I both have. How cool is that?


Sad part is, this maturing and growing only took Paloma 7 years and I almost took four times as long!

My DH likes to call me 'Simpleton' when I have my 'blonde' moments. Now I am thinking those few grey hair's I have been meticulously plucking may indeed just be natural blond?!
It sure would explain a few things.....

5 comments:

  1. What a great post! It's so neat to have a long term partnership like that and be able to look back as well as forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitely spend a lot of time reminiscing haha (that's actually partly why i started blogging, to make it that much easier to remember what i was thinking/doing at any point) - but it is pretty amazing all the same to see how rapidly and completely horses can grow and change. things that seemed totally unrealistic can suddenly become commonplace. they really are very cool creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for commenting! It is really refreshing when the chips begin to fall into place. Not to mention relieving. 'Wow.. maybe I am actually making a difference with all this training'.

    Exactly why I began blogging too. Plus the feeling of support from fellow bloggers and reading similar ups/downs is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems so long ago! Another life time! Maybe I was sending out vibes too because I couldn't be more pleased with the lovely home and life you've given Pal! Lucy and I are very grateful!!! And never fail to love seeing pics of the two of you on your adventures. lol - still don't know how to make this official to post under my name
    - will have to get help! Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Kim! You are way too kind. I couldn't ask for a better addition to the family. Pal is a diva but I find it hysterical!

      Delete