Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pacific Paloma Goes Eventing- Take One.

 

 
 

Paloma/me, Thunder and Michelle celebrated Victoria Day by heading to the first event of the season at Catori Lane.
This event is the first part of a series of short course events, ie Dressage element with a combined Stadium/Cross, spread a few hours apart.
 
I had participated in one of these last year with Thunder when Mish was baking her baby, Pey, and I got a taste for the sport. It is a fun and ultimately supportive event! Not to mention the stable owner, Tori, being totally cool about everything! Patience of a saint I tell you....
 
As I have said before I wanted to get Paloma out to these events to see if it brightened her sparkle rather than fizzling at the hunter shows. (She gets bored...)
 
 
After a bit of drama occurring at the barn which resulted in padlocking of the paddock, (short brief; owner passed away, her 'friend' threatened to steal owner's horse that was left behind), I decided to get up extra early the day of the show to bathe/braid/pack up rather than going out the night before.
Not to mention the barn is now 15 minutes away rather than 15 seconds. Lazy me I know...
 
Arriving at the barn at 5:30am, I got the trailer packed up, bucket full of suds and brought Paloma out for some 'spa' time. Considering it was only 10*c out and the water is not heated, Pal stood rather well, whilst tucking her tail tight to her butt cheeks.
After bath time, I dried her as much as possible, threw on a sheet, and got to braiding.
Thankfully, I was able to braid in 20 minutes and had time to spritz and jazz dear pony for added sparkle before Mish arrived to hook up the trailer.
 
 
Loading the horses on the trailer was uneventful, both horses walked straight up and on like old show pros.
Arriving at the show at 7:30, we checked in, got our numbers and unloaded the horses to tack up.
My ride times were 8:36 and 11:06.
 
Our warm up was uneventful, I forgot my spurs and even though I barely have to use them anymore, Pal still knew and was sluggish but responsive.
Luckily, both Mish and I memorized the dressage test, Eventing Test One Entry Level.
Mish and Thunder were seasoned vets and aced everything. Figures...
Pal and my time came up after Mish. Thankfully the judge took a few extra minutes to jot down notes about previous tests and I was able to walk/trot around the outside of the ring. Paloma had a 'Paloma-style' meltdown about the judges tent which had three sides and was dark with scary moving things jutting in and out. Ie; people. A minute later, after giving her a second or two to process she walked right on by without another incident and then the bell rang to signal our start time.
The test went very well, Paloma was very forward, odd... but she stayed on task and listened. I did have some trouble with corners. Paloma, while still behaving, wanted to be sure she kept her eye on the tent monster and I didn't have spurs, so our corners were shallower than desired.
We ended up with a 70.8% score on our test with 8's for canter, 8 for free walk and 7's for trot.
A little too much stretch down and lack of half halt on my part resulted in a moment of being on the forehand. Oops. But we lived and got a great score!
I am excitedly awaiting photos!
We headed back to the trailer after cooling down for a couple hour wait time. I bravely tied Pal to the trailer beside Thunder and in front of a hay net. :O
Those who know Pal, know she is bossy about food and pulls back when restricted.
Much to my amazement, having a buddy and lots of food proved to the be right ingredients for a happily munching horse.
Pal and Thunder even preferred to share haybags!
 
Spotty, not yet sun bleached pony. Aww's.
 
Time came to re-tack and head out to warm up for jumping.
 
We had a very hunter-esque warm up which I am sure everyone was looking at us like 'Erm.. are you lost? This is a event, not a hunter show', but I was happy Pal was relaxed.
 
Originally I had chosen the Pre-entry Division but later bumped down to Starter after realizing there was a drop fence in Pre-entry.
Pal did do the drop fence in the clinic just fine, but I wasn't ready yet since we had some hyper/excited horse control issues doing the cross fences last time. Last thing I need is Pal to catch a leg on larger fences. I was determined to make this round about schooling Pal to listen to my seat so we both arrive at the exit safely.
 
Luckily, my division was right after the Pre-entry and after talking to Tori and the show organizer's she agreed to leave the Stadium fences at Pre-entry height and allow me to do the Starter cross fences. This was great since it gave us some practice at decent size fences when our control is in tune but allowed Pal to accept a joke or two on cross and still be safe.
 
Stadium wasn't a problem, though I did get smacked in the face by a tree right before a jump... Meh.
Leaving the Stadium ring, we didn't get any points for straight lines, Pal 'knew' what she was doing and headed for the Pre-Entry/Entry size fences that we had done in the clinic. After a discussion and some drunk-style riding, Pal took every fence in stride. Now and then she would have a 'thought' about a fence but I pushed my 'shopping cart' on, she obliged and jumped with what felt like a foot to spare.
Half way through the course, Pal was galloping through my seat and hands, while she was taking me to the fences without worry, I wanted her to be at my control so I gave one GIANT half halt.
Pal was either listening during that one instant or my half halt was a bit too strong and she sat right down, and came back to a trot. It was a bit of a drastic transition but I needed it before we hit the down hill portion and she blasted off.
We finished the cross course and were heading home to the stadium. I must have been caught up in the speed and got Pal wayyy.... deep to the first Stadium fence, but she sat way down and jumped it without qualms. Good girl for saving your momsy!
I cleaned up my act and rode the seven strides to the final Stadium jump.
Yes... I counted.... it is the hunter in me.... I think I was the only one who walked the course for strides rather than path lol. Overall, in the jumping portion we went clean with no faults.
 
 
 
Our loot. Purty Pink (breast cancer), second place ribbons.




4 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on the excellent outing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you both!! Sounds like a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo! Awesome result, and it sounds like Paloma totally loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay congratulations!!!! sounds like the perfect foray into eventing - and Paloma looks gorgeous in those pics!

    ReplyDelete