
Horse-nality!
I have been doing a lot of talking this week about my recent learning on 'horse-nalities' so I thought I would post a visual chart for those who don't love researching and reading.
I truly believe learning where Paloma fell into these four main categories has helped me get a little outside my head and start to actually think about cause and effect instead of scrambling.
The suggestions for Paloma, class A left brain introvert, indicated that, I have to give her time to process what I am asking, not because she is not smart, but because she IS smart and needs to figure out what is in it for her. So I am supposed to give her praise and treats as incentive.
The definition also suggested that for a left brain introvert horse, you need to appeal to their brain in order to get their feet moving. So true!! One of the exercises mentioned was to trot the long side, halt in the corner, give cookie, trot long side, halt, cookie... etc. Apparently it offers incentive which the smart left brain introverts look for in everything they do.
Yes, I get praise but cookies for something so simple and minimal? Nu-uh. Not my style. I ask? You go!
But maybe I am being stubborn and need to alter my way of thinking.
So last night before working on the days gymnastic I decided to do some Parelli of my own and test this theory.
After grabbing Pal from the field, I decided to make her walk through the deep-ish creek that runs paralel to the paddock. It isn't deep but it is wide, 8-10 feet across. Pal isn't a fan of water but usually obliges when I urge her forward.
This time when she said, 'no', I said, 'ok, let's think about it'. No fight, no fuss. So I walked half way through and grabbed some really green grass from the other side and held it out for Pal. Just enough that she had to take a step to reach it. She happily took the step for the grass incentive.
Again, I repeated.
About the fourth offering I finally said, no, come with me.
AND SHE CAME! Whaa..... Who are you!
No jumping or leaping across, no rushing, just walked right through like a boss. Lots of scritches for you!
I am left now scratching my head.
Is this 'herd mentality' way of thinking totally off? Is there a better way?
I can't help but pop a mental picture of myself being that horse person, which we all know one, who sits there pleading with their horse to move, while the horse looks and thinks 'lady, I am good here, you go without me because I 'aint movin'
Nu-uh. Nope. No. I will not be that person.

I use a lot of 'natural horsemanship' stuff in my daily barn life. A lot of it is plain old common sense, and it works! Like with the creek...you lowered the pressure, you gave her tangible rewards for doing the right thing...you walked in there first and showed her it's no big deal...so she walked in through there with no drama. And no, I haven't turned into 'that' lady...yet! (lol) I think where people get messed up is when they don't expand on things or enforce boundaries and horsey gets bored or learns how to manipulate any given situation into treats or a rest break :) Sorry for the novel!
ReplyDeleteSee this makes sense when you put it that way... 'lowering pressure, tangible rewards'.
DeleteEnforcing boundaries is exactly the issue, your right!!
yea i worry about bringing so many treats into the mix bc my mare is so manipulative and would certainly turn it into a scam lol
ReplyDeleteExactly my thoughts lol.
DeleteThis is the exact same strategy I take with Murray. There was an incident last year where he couldn't get over a tire jump, and after 45 minutes of him stopping and bolting while trying to lunge him over it, he did it IMMEDIATELY for a cookie. It was really strange but definitely highlighted to me the importance of understanding your horse's learning style and treating everyone as an individual. I look forward to hearing more about your training adventures now that you know this!
ReplyDeleteI know, isn't this so right.... in the clinic over the weekend my mare spooked at itsy bitsy pile of old fence posts but yet flew over the large logs and the drop fence like nothing would stop her. Yet, when coach gave her a pat and hand walked us through, it was as though there was never an issue.... strange creatures.
Delete