![]() |
| Gotta catch them Z's whenever you can! |
This morning I groomed a pig, found a horse but rode a slug.
Said piggy also decided to walk on my feet instead of her own in fear of the, now sheared, barn sheep that roams the halls believing it is a dog. Now, that 'Useless' is compact size rather than semi size, it is much scarier! No, I am not entirely being hateful, that is the sheep's name. Yes, really!
The weather this AM was pretty dreary. The last two days have been full of rain and thunder storms that were well needed back in May, 'good rain in May brings the hay'. Of course, as my luck would have it we are in the middle of getting our house shingled. Three more days! Was it too much to ask for three more days....? *insert whine fest*
On the other side of that I have been hearing rumors of hay prices on the rise since most haven't even had enough growth for first cut yet. Great. $5-6/per bale days again? Let us pray not!
After experiencing some slick wet conditions last week in the outdoor ring and nearly having a couple hind end wipe outs we opted to ride inside until the conditions improve.
Normally, I am all groan and whine about having to ride inside when the beautiful outdoor beckons my name but I had a warm welcome from the brand new fluffy sand that BO had brought in late last week and it was fancifully harrowed for my taking! Yeah!
Paloma was much less enthused by the whole concept and didn't seem to care about the optimum footing conditions. Today, she was in diesel mode.
Our warm up was looonnnggg! And I mean it was a solid 20 minutes before she was even remotely listening to my leg or softening to my hands. I am guessing, by the looks of her prior to grooming, that someone overdid playtime yesterday hmm...?
Even her brain was in the last century. While warming up I typically do a few halt, walk, halt transitions to really prep my half halts. But today, asking for halt meant, leg yield, turn on the forehand, back up, then halt and a big sigh.. what? I honestly am not sure where the wires crossed here. Either I am really unaware of my body today or someone is a wee bit hmm... what's a nice word....confused, yes, confused!
Moving on, our coordination finally improved and we got some decent work in, though nothing sensational was accomplished. It was merely moving through the drills and checking response time.
Sometimes for what ever reason we will get the occasional ride where the ebb and flow, does more ebb than flow if you know what I mean.
Ah well, who am I kidding, it was 6AM and really, nothing but face to pillow should be happening at this hour.

sounds like the mare tired herself out! also fun story: back when i first started leasing isabel i habitually referred to her as 'useless' too lol. not very nice, i guess...
ReplyDeleteOur barn just bought a big load of hay and had to postpone some small arena maintenance because it was so expensive. Ack!!
ReplyDelete