| Paloma's first cross fence. Despite the tiny size we BOTH are wearing a smile. Note to self... please remember to shorten thy stirrups for once! |
While I was perusing my fellow blogger's posts the other day, one post and one portion of that post struck me and got me thinking about goals for this year.
I know, I know... you are all saying, "can anyone remind this chick that New Years resolutions are so like, 6 months ago.."
Truth is, I don't make promises or goals that I cannot keep or truly make a valiant effort for and in the beginning of this year I actually had little to no idea where we would be.
Now, things are shaping up and coming together to the point where I believe it is safe to share.
A couple months ago, I was finding myself discouraged and unmotivated to say the least. To the point where I was even questioning if I wanted to show or even ride for that matter. Mind you, I don't mean that in the long term sense, just in a minor intermission sense. Say... a break.
Despite my negative nancy moments, I dutifully pulled on my breeches, strapped on my chaps and spurs and went to the barn to train. Note here, I said train, not ride.
Most of my equine life has been spent training green beans, selling, and taking on a new green bean.
I never really had a horse I could have fun with. Not to mention my old trainer frowned upon 'funny business'. Fun was inappropriate, training was all there was.
Until a friend of mine asked if I wanted to go on a trail ride and I quickly responded with, "but I have a gymnastic all planned out...", her response, "you need to chill and have fun", it had never really occurred to me that I was always training for a goal, not riding because I love it.
While , I am sure I have heard this phrase many times before, I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to receive it but this time I got thinking.
It finally dawned on me that the reason I was beginning to resent my barn time recently was because I was being too serious and forgetting that I love this.
Fun is trail riding, playing soccer with your horse, galloping through an event course or field for that matter. Or merely, having a 'photo shoot' day with dear ponykins.
Who am I kidding, this is all still 'training'! All your experiences with horses are training!
So at long last my goal for this year is to have fun with Paloma and to remove some of my seriousness. It doesn't mean I am any less dedicated to my horse or the discipline I love. It means I am finally expanding my horizons, I just know it will be worth it!
Mare-up! (saying hijacked from fellow blogger here)
My new coach has an impressive resume and I was slightly (really) intimidated to approach her for lessons and/or boarding. Her first comment when I finally called was something along the lines of her goal is to make sure everyone is having fun and the barn never feels like work. I was like "Sign me up!"
ReplyDeleteHave fun! :)
This is really refreshing! Not many coaches are about fun anymore, I like this!
Delete:D
ReplyDeleteI think having fun is pretty important. And you guys look pretty happy out on cross country!!
We did, the larger fences did freak me out slightly but it was a blast!
DeleteOh yeah totally and you know what breaks are needed to keep ourselves fresh :)
ReplyDeleteI agree, though I cannot help feeling guilty for taking a break. lol.
Deleteyesss - i am all about this attitude! any trainer that says that fun is inappropriate is not the trainer for me. it costs way too much time and money to not be allowed to get a little gleeful every now and then :)
ReplyDeleteYes, yes, yes!! It's too easy to get caught up in the training aspect, especially for those of us that like to show. But really, we do this for fun... so it should be FUN!
ReplyDeleteExactly!!! thank you. So glad to know others agree.
Delete