Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Joys of Horse Ownership.



Vet bills. How I hate the.


I woke at my regular 5AM, headed to the barn, thinking it was a beautiful morning for a ride. The breeze was crisp and the sunrise was just peaking over the fog, giving off a stunning pink, mango aura. Perfect right?
Yeah, no.
I went out to get Pal, again she was pretty chill which is not a good sign around feeding time.


I took her into the barn and examined her jaw. Still swollen. *Insert 'f' word and sounds of ATM's flipping cash*
So I groomed her to perfection and gave her some pats before shoving bute into her grain and then began my string of freak outs.
I still had some antibiotics in the fridge from her cut incident last year and decided to run back to my in-laws to grab it and give her a bit to get the healing started.


Then after about an hour of my inner voices pulling off a great representation of the World War. I called the vet.
Better today then tomorrow's holiday rates....


Vet finally arrived hours later, sedated Pal and took a look. Confirmed infection at the gum line. But lucky me, no xray machine on board so I get to wait in horror for the next few days, spouting all the potential costs and outcomes if, indeed, this tooth, which looks perfect, needs to come out.


In the interim, Paloma is on meds for the infection. Vet recommends extraction regardless since tooth infections often return to the same spot, or so she says.
I tend to air on the side of 'if it ain't broke, don't pull it'.




Anyone else gone through this? Would love to hear your story.


1 comment:

  1. aw what a bummer! poor Pal :( i don't know anything at all about tooth infections in horses... in people they tend to take tooth infections fairly seriously bc of the proximity to the heart, so if the infection travels it could be bad news, but idk if horses are the same. good luck!

    ReplyDelete