Friday, December 9, 2016

A String of Firsts.

Solo's new pal, Bud.
Yippee! I did my first circle in the tack on Solo yesterday morning! Pretty sure anyone within a 100ft radius thought there might be pigs in the barn with all my 'good boy' squeals. And it literally was a mere two or three ten metre circles at the walk... Haven't quite figured out how to walk forward in a straight line, but we can do lateral steering! With babies you take what they can give you lol.

I also was finally able to get the bridle to fit him so I didn't have to hold the bit up myself. Oddly, he seems between a horse and a cob bridle. The cheek pieces were uber long but the throat latch noseband and browband are tight! Apparently he did get something out of having those balls for awhile.
I felt it a sin but I punched a few more holes in one of my less expensive bridles though sadly still a very nice one, sigh. Sacrilege.

Now that Solo has discovered carrots are edible if you cut them in incy bincy pieces I showered him with carrot bites to take his mind of the bit and enforce positive experience when the bridle comes out.
Lunging in the bridle made a huge difference. Finally he cannot lean on my hands!
After about 10 minutes he stopped chomping and let out some good snorts.

And lastly another first. Solo now has a friend! Well, he is now out with the herd but only one other horse liked him much. Poor guy. He seemed to mix well with that herd though. With the dynamics in that paddock the horse either must be very dominant, Pal, or pretty low low, Solo.
The herd chased him a few times but there is a ton of room, about five acres, so he left without question. But ironically, one of the elderly horses in the herd decided he loves to play 'baby horse' and continually coaxed Solo to play, which was not happening. He would rather hang.

Another good day, with lots more firsts! Cross fingers we can walk straight even a step tonight!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's going so well. I have a greenie I'm working on too and it's funny how the little things become so exciting. Circling? Yay! Walking in a straight line? Yay! Keep having fun with your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I have never hesitated to punch extra holes in leather - the equipments gotta fit right?!? But YAY for riding and for Solo already progressing so well!!

    ReplyDelete