Solo made his debut a day early. I ended up hiring the same company to trailer Solo that took Paloma last weekend. I just did not feel comfortable trailering myself on the freeway for two hours...
Last weekend the trailer took a flat while Paloma was headed on the road and because of that the man set out to buy a full new set and texted me at 3:30pm saying he was an hour away and wanted to pick Solo up early.
Uhh.
After some scrambling at work we ended up making it happen, and three hours later he rolled into our drive way:-)
I was worried. When I first got Paloma she near ran me over getting on and off the trailer and meanwhile managing to dislocate two of my toes while I called for a lead and chain, lol. Oh memories. Look at her now, I barely believe it was the same horse and I was there.
Solo on the other hand walked right up and off the trailer like a pro. He called a few times but was as respectful and gentlemen like as can be. Good lad!
We ended up taking a walk about in the arena since it was already dark out... Hate winter!
I tested out his buttons, seeing what he knows and what he needs to work on as far as ground work was concerned then we went into the barn to clean him up since the short notice meant he was not groomed.
An hour of oogling, grooming and tending for his still slightly swollen used-to-be stallion areas we went back into the arena for a little more get to know each other time.
I had intended to give him a little lunge but he must have split his incision open slightly while on the trailer ride over and he was pretty reluctant to move at anything but a walk. No problem. So in turn I tested how he was with the rope being tossed around him and same with rubbing with the lunge whip and gently tossing the string to his other side. He was not a huge fan but tolerated it. Same with my antics as I jumped up and down around him like a child might.
Seeing how good he was I pushed a little more to test his current mental boundaries and I stomped on the mounting block, tossed my hands around above his head and leaned on him gently. I got a few tail swishes, the only sign that he was a stallion up until this week, but he seemed interested and accepted it as I made him stand up a couple times. We called it a day there. It was a lot to take in in one day but I need him to know from the start to be respectful and listen no matter where we go.
I was overall very pleased. Minus his slight ribbyness. But we all know i prefer a little chunk over ribs.
I got up bright and early this morning to tend to his private parts, eye roll things we do, and watch him turned out. While he is alone right now until he heals up, he will be out with the herd next week.
It was definitely good timing to turn him out since his swelling was starting to stock up his legs. Another normal side effect of gelding but still...Poor boy.
Heading out into the arena, he got another lesson. The garage arena door clattering as it went up. Solo's eyes bugged and we got one snort but he stayed put even with a slack rope.
Now, without further ado, photo bomb!
S'up!
Why hullo there..
![]() |
| Nappies! |
![]() |
| Baby photos! |
![]() |
| Weanling futurity in Quebec. |








He's got such a sweet face!!
ReplyDeleteLove all that chrome!
ReplyDeleteHe's lovely! What an exciting new adventure :)
ReplyDeleteHe is quite cute!
ReplyDelete